Ender poopy troubles AGAIN (UPDATED again)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ender poopy troubles AGAIN (UPDATED again)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEnder poopy troubles AGAIN (UPDATED again)

Update#2: Fecal exam... no parasites! DAMN... was sort of hoping that was it.
    -----
    UPDATE: Ok... he's DEFINITELY drinking more than usual. :/ I just put more water in his bowl and he gulped it down.
    -----
    Ok... so over the past week Ender's afternoon stools have gotten progressively softer. His morning and evening ones are fine. I haven't been sure of this trend because Eric sometimes takes him for a poop and fails to either pay attention to the consistency or doesn't remember what it was like by the time I ask him. Also if it's "dark" and ender poops somewhere he can's see well, he doesn't pick it up : Ender may have been having SOME loose stools for weeks now 'cause Eric's definition and mine are different.

Anyways... today was the last straw as Ender went poop three times in 1.5 hrs, getting looser and looser each time. With the last one too loose to pick up. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but he seems to have one really loose poop regardless immediately after playing in the afternoon or early evening with his friend Lucy. (Which usually means 1 hr of running around retrieving and chasing Lucy.) Can that cause loose stool?

Anyways... he was getting the loose stool before he started playing today. He has had ZERO accidents in the house still but those times where his stool is loose he goes a little crazy with the bell like "I NEED TO GET OUT NOW!!"

His stool in the morning is still pretty firm... not completely rock hard like it was with the chicken and rice days.

Here is what he gets:
    3 cups of LB ProPlan Puppy
    Training Treats: cheerios mostly, the occasional pieces of hot dog
    IF it's a workday he gets 2 frozen kongs with little bit of low-fat cream cheese, low-fat yogurt and mashed bananas

Here are my options as I see it...

Go back to ONLY kibble... no training treats, no frozen kongs unless they are water and kibble. And see if that works... then SLOWLY add in the other things one at a time to hopefully find out which thing is causing it.

Get a vet appointment and bring in a stool sample?

Other options?

I wish we could get this poop thing solved... driving me crazy thinking about my dog's poop all day and all night... (I sometimes have dreams that Ender is about to poop in the house)
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ender poopy troubles AGAIN

I went through all this with Zoe, so here is what I would do. Cut out the yogurt and dairy products for a while. You can smash bananas in the kong and freeze some of his daily kibble in with it.
    Doesn't sound like you're feeding too much.
    I've found that when some of my guys get excited about going for a walk or swimming, etc., they will have a slightly runny poo either during the activity or right after.
    I'd also nix the hot dogs until you get things totally under control. Some puppies have to be handled with a lot of tummy TLC; I thought I'd go nuts with Zoe's tummy issues. I was reading where peeps were feeding yogurt, etc.; and the more I did what others did the more poo problems we had.
    I also got probiotics from the healthfood store and added that on top of her kibble. That helped. Also, do you moisten the food at all? If so, make sure you are not putting too much water. When I first started, I was using too much and that too, will cause runny poo!
    Thank God for Laura back in those days ... she listened to my moans and groans until we finally got Zoe on a good kibble and good poo. I still have to watch what extras she gets vs. the stomachs of steel with some of the others.

Ahhh.... One thing I'm going to have to watch is the trainer at Puppy K who is constantly giving Ender treats 'cause he does is best "look at me I'm so cute sitting perfectly in front of you not moving my eyes from your face ready to do whatever you ask" look. (But that was Tuesday, so I'd expect the effects of that to be done by today)

He doesn't get water in his food at all. Though he will at times just stand at that bowl and drink drink drink drink drink. But that's at times like after being in his crate for four hours.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tasmans Mom is offline Senior Member

We had some problems in the past and I am back to feeding kibble with 1 cup of warmish water 3x a day and maybe 1/4 of a carrot as a treat a day. For training I use his kibble too.
    It's soo frustrating good luck!
    <br /><br />Taz 8 months old..!<br />----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Please come and visit my blog at mylabtaz.blogspot.com

robeec is offline Member

tina's evening movement is sometimes a lil' loose. her loose stool is probably from what she gets mixed w/her evening kibble: tonight i gave her and andy a half of burger each mixed w/their wellness. at 9mos, she gets two meals but her morning meal is just wellness--she picks at it until afternoon, and sometimes andy steals some of her kibble. they each usually get a raw marrow bone or pig ear as a late-morning snack, and a biscuit before bed. i'm thinking the looser evening movement is caused by whatever meat or fish i mix w/their evening meal.

sounds like you worry too much about shit.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'd take a stool sample in. *Various bad bacteria can cause intermittent loose stools. *

You really do have my sympathy.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by robeec
    sounds like you worry too much about shit.
    Do you mean Ender's poo or life problems? lol ;D ;D ;D

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    I went through all this with Zoe, so here is what I would do.* Cut out the yogurt and dairy products for a while.* You can smash bananas in the kong and freeze some of his daily kibble in with it.
    Doesn't sound like you're feeding too much.
    I've found that when some of my guys get excited about going for a walk or swimming, etc., they will have a slightly runny poo either during the activity or right after.*
    I'd also nix the hot dogs until you get things totally under control.* Some puppies have to be handled with a lot of tummy TLC; I thought I'd go nuts with Zoe's tummy issues.* I was reading where peeps were feeding yogurt, etc.; and the more I did what others did the more poo problems we had.
    I also got probiotics from the healthfood store and added that on top of her kibble.* That helped.* Also, do you moisten the food at all?* If so, make sure you are not putting too much water.* When I first started, I was using too much and that too, will cause runny poo!
    Thank God for Laura back in those days ... she listened to my moans and groans until we finally got Zoe on a good kibble and good poo.* I still have to watch what extras she gets vs. the stomachs of steel with some of the others.

I agree with Sandy. You're dog might be lactose intolerant, some dogs are. If you are giving Kongs to keep your dog busy on work days, you might switch to a BUSTER CUBE to keep him busy during the day. You can put his kibble in it.
    <br />Oregon

Well... Eric will be home tomorrow and then we have the whole weekend... so for the next 3 days... no need to "keep him busy" while we are at work. Is three days enough to settle his system down?
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Well... Eric will be home tomorrow and then we have the whole weekend... so for the next 3 days... no need to "keep him busy" while we are at work.* Is three days enough to settle his system down?
    I would think so if you can isolate the problem. ZoeZoe might be on to something w/ the lactose. I gave up yogurt w/ Sami too and switched to Probiotics -- the refridgerated kind -- and it seemed to help. You might want to try some pumpkin for firming up the stools. I've used Slippery Elm Bark too, which works wonders.

Hope you can get this figured out. GI troubles are certainly frustrating, aren't they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast