Hairloss/mange?? UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairloss/mange?? UPDATE

DefaultHairloss/mange?? UPDATE

Ok just want to preface by saying that I am going to see the vet on Monday.....but does anyone here have a clue?

I have noticed that Vito has slight hair loss around both his eyes, almost looks like there are grey hairs but looking closely you can tell it isn't >

I have now thoroughly checked him all over, and he has some faintly bare bits on his legs and the tip of his tail. When I rub, there is a lot of flaky skin (but not around the eyes)
    Also under his chin a LOT of dry skin but no hair loss that I can see. The rest of him is fine.* ???
    Forgot to mention that he is not scratching at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hairloss/dandruff/worried

Hair loss around the eyes is usually where demodex starts. Unfortunately, I have off and on experience with that. Otherwise, maybe there is an allergy problem or maybe the thyroid needs to be checked. Good that you are seeing the vet on Monday. Please let us know what they find.

Actually I'm going tomorrow - can't wait - they said it souds like it too. The treatment is a course of shots?
    Can't find anything out about it, all I have heard of is shampoos and lotions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If they are telling you shots, it sounds like they are wanting to give an Ivomec injection. It really depends on how bad it is. My girl gets them around her face; the vet had us give her Ivomec for 30-60 days, but we put it on a piece of bread and she ate it. We did not do any of the baths since she doesn't have it that bad. In fact, I quit the Ivomec and boosted her vitamin intake to help her immune system. If she is a puppy, it would be puppy demodex, which she will more than likely outgrow. Let us know what the vet says.

Vito is not a puppy - he will be 4 in October.A lot of what I have read about it implies that either pups are born with it, or it indicates a compromised immune system. I am very worried
    Could it be that he has become susceptible because of a recent surgery? It seems to tie in sort of - he had nothing at all on his skin but had surgery two months ago for a lump under his chin.Post surgery stress?
    I have yet to find any info as to a definitive cause.

DefaultRe: Hairloss/mange??

Very well could be. Our girl broke out after she was spayed and was in the kennel for a few days. Stress does bring it on and weakens their immune system. He'll be okay ... it's just a pain in the butt, as it can come back any time they get stressed. My hubby is trying to figure out how a dog that plays ball all day, chews on bones and has a great life can get stressed!! lol

Thanks for that - I adore my Vito more than words can say! I couldn't even begin.....
    Any recommendations as to vitamins etc that I could give him to help? He is being fed ProPlan lamb and rice, and seems to thrive, glossy coat, perfect body am ALWAYS being complimented but as I thought it is a complete food so have never really added anything to his diet, other than the usual bits for when he puts on the *I am a starving lab*face!

I've been adding Nupro to Cissy's food. You can get it at www.petfooddirect.com or www.entirelypets.com
    I'm betting the surgery set it off for your guy and things will be fine after he see's the vet.
    This might be the one and only time he has it; I'd wait and see what the vet thinks. Good luck!!

DefaultRe: Hairloss/mange?? UPDATE

Back from the vet - she said it didn't look too bad. We had an Ivomec shot, have to go back next week for another. And a big bottle marked POISON some small patches on his elbows....
    I just want it to clear up as soon as possible

DefaultRe: Hairloss/mange?? UPDATE

I hope it clears up very soon; sounds like you all have it under control!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast