Anesthesia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anesthesia

luvmykodi is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnesthesia

I'm not sure if this goes here, but I was wondering about doggy anesthesia.

After reading Rachel's post about poor Luke, it got me thinking.
    Is there different types?
    My concern is I have dogs coming up for OFA x-rays and now I'm terrified about putting them under.
    However I heard it said that you get a better reading that way.

Any thoughts???
    <br >~Stephanie~<br />AKA Princess Pee Pees

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anesthesia

If they need something, they are usually mildly sedated, not completely out.* Derby was mildly sedated because he was not cooperative at all.
    <br />Oregon

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yes, there are different kinds; I'm not really sure the names, but I do know they have always charged more for the one where they wake up faster and are not as groggy. But that's okay!! Just talk to your vet about it and let them know your concerns; I'm sure they will be more than happy to explain the differences. Good luck with the x-rays!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tootsiesmom is offline Senior Member

I wanted to inquire about this but certainly understand that the tiuming was not right and the situation is so very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Many years ago my mixed dog, Tootsie, almost died from seizures. They THOUGHT the seizures were from epilepsy and we tried phenobarbitol. It did not work so we kept increasing the dose. We LATER found that the seizures were from meningitis (sp?) and she was correctly treated.

Later I took her in to be spayed. The vet did not want to spay until she was seizure free for 6 months or more. I opted to do a pre-screen on her blood work. Because of the phenobarbitol and high doses provided her liver enzymes were VERY high and basically stated her liver was dying. Had I NOT received the bloodwork the vet stated there was a very good chance she would not have made it out of surgery. Instead of using a sedative that secreted enzymes from the liver they used one that would from her kidneys and she was fine.

As for the liver (a bit OT) she is doing well. They provided antibiotics and her liver recovered/regenearted just fine.

That dog should have been a cat with 9 lives.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I also wanted to ask about this, but was afraid to broach the subject in light of recent events. It seems like dogs have a much poorer rate of safety than humans do when it comes to anesthesia. Why is this?
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    I also wanted to ask about this, but was afraid to broach the subject in light of recent events.* It seems like dogs have a much poorer rate of safety than humans do when it comes to anesthesia.* Why is this?*
    Because whenever humans undergo surgery and anesthesia, more preoperative testing is done.
    <br />Oregon

luvmykodi is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    I also wanted to ask about this, but was afraid to broach the subject in light of recent events.* It seems like dogs have a much poorer rate of safety than humans do when it comes to anesthesia.* Why is this?*
    Because whenever humans undergo surgery and anesthesia, more preoperative testing is done.
    I don't care how much testing is done....I'm petrified of being knocked out. When I had my surgery, after I had my son, they wanted to put me under...I freaked. The anesthesiologist gave me a spinal instead. The nurses were baffaled that I would take another needle in the back than going to sleep.
    <br >~Stephanie~<br />AKA Princess Pee Pees

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

My concern is I have dogs coming up for OFA* x-rays and now I'm terrified about putting them under.
    However I heard it said that you get a better reading that way.

Any thoughts???
    Look for a vet that can do the xrays without anesthesia, or just with a relaxer.* http://devinefarm.net/health/ofavets.htm In over 25 years, I have had only one put out, and she was malpositioned. Since then I have been going to the same vet and I have received about half good and half excellent without anesthesia. The important thing here is expertise. I will definately say more are done wrong because of lack of expertise and malpositioning under anesthesia.
    Anesthesia is always a risk in humans and pets because there is an occasional individual that has an adverse reaction which can't always be known before anesthesia. It is not routine to run special tests unless there is a family history. Many people also refuse testing on young dogs.

WigWag Guest

Ask your vet to try the x-rays without anesthesia and if they will not then inquire about this with other breeders in your area. *My vet recommends sedation but will do them without and there is a vet in my area that does a lot *of OFA x-rays for a ton of breeders because he does them all awake. *I won't knock out a dog if it's not necessary because of the increase in risk not to mention it's about $100.00 - $150.00 for the anesthesia.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

This is scary and gives me something to ask my vet about when I get my puppy. I keep thinking about Luke and how difficult that is..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast