Ender's weight... a new thing to worry about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ender's weight... a new thing to worry about

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEnder's weight... a new thing to worry about

MAN is Ender getting HEAVY. I don't mean in that he looks fat... but he's SOOOO Big at 17.5 week. He's 41 lbs! That's up 3 lbs since a week ago when we were at the vets... granted different scale but mine's pretty close to the vets.

If he were mostly show lines and build like Labby's or LabAddict's dogs, I guess I'd think it was okay... but he's Field! He has a waist, I can feel but not see his ribs... so he's not fat... just growing big and fast.

The trainer at puppy k class thought he was 6 months old (he was 17 weeks at the time)!

Should I be worried that he's growing this fast and that he's this big allready? I can't carry him up and down the stairs so he's been getting a lot of "stair time" which I'm worried isn't good for his growing joints/hips.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ender's weight... a new thing to worry about

I can see where you would be concerned and I would think if he is not overweight then his growth is normal for him. It's just like us humans...some grow faster than others and all that good genetic stuff ;D

As for the stairs if I had the same thing as you guys I would let him walk as well. His weight wouldn't be a problem but when 40 lbs or so starts squirming, they could fall,,you lose balance...doesn't take much imagination to see an injury in the making.

Since you aren't allowing him to run up and down and taking it easy seems to me like that is the least chance for injury. Sounds like you are doing it right to me!

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds pretty normal to me. Piper was right on 10lbs a month until 5 months...so 40lbs at 4 months is A ok
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Lindsay, I'm relieved at least that CoCo has moved past the 50% mark of Ender's weight, as she is now 25lbs at the same age.... *For a while she was just barely keeping up to half his weight. *I'm not sure if he's slowing down or she's speeding up, but its nice to see the gap narrow even slightly.

We let CoCo take the stairs. *Like others, we try not to let her run and jump off them, but we live in a 2-level house and both main exits have stairs to the ground as well, so it would be extreme to carry her everywhere.
    ~Jo & CoCo

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I don't think he's growing to fast or that it's anything to be worried over, he's just a big pup. Like I said...more Ender to love

Molly uses the stairs now (unless I feel like a workout), I make sure she doesn't "tear" up or down them too fast and she's not allowed to wander up/down as she pleases
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How big were Ender's parents?

If he is not overweight, you have no real reason to be concerned.

pluto is offline Senior Member

pluto is 32 pounds at 15 weeks and he is from a show line..Post some stack shots of ender so we can see clearly.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I will try to find out from the breeder exactly how much her dogs weigh and I will TRY to get a stacked picture of Ender though it's really hard to do with only one person! ;D
    ~Lindsay

pluto is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    I will try to find out from the breeder exactly how much her dogs weigh and I will TRY to get a stacked picture of Ender though it's really hard to do with only one person!* ;D
    U dont need a perfect stack..just take him out in the yard play with him and just shoot a bunch of pics..U're bound to get one or two good ones.

Sheila is offline Senior Member

Lindsay,

We should get Ender & Beau together....Beau will be 6 months old on the 14th of this month...we went to the vet last Thursday and he weighed in at 75 pounds !!!* I think we have ourselves a couple of bruisers.* * Beau like Ender is not fat and believe it or not is not a food hog....he even will skip an occasional meal on his own!
    <br />Beau &amp; Nikko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast