Thor is not eating! *sigh* (LONG)

Thread: Thor is not eating! *sigh* (LONG)

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

DefaultThor is not eating! *sigh* (LONG)

Okay I've posted before about how I thought Thor was skinny and being a picky eater.* Well, I've taken the suggestions of others posting about their labs not eating and putting their food down for 10-15 minutes and picking it up when they don't eat.* I've been doing this as opposed to letting him graze.* I think I'm going to make an appointment about this...and also to get him scheduled for his neuter. You can see and feel his ribs.* I dont' think he's sick because he will eat treats...but upon a suggestion, I'm going to stop giving him treats in between meals because he doesn't seem to finish his food.* Also, I've heard that running them hard (exercising them) will make them want to eat more.* I take him swimming when it's nice or an hour long session of fetching, and some days he'll eat all of his food, and others he won't.* Is he being a brat, or should I be worried?* He plays like normal and drinks his water just fine.* Any ideas or comments appreciated.* Thank you. Thor is about 15 months.

Here are some recent pics...don't know if it shows just how skinny he looks in real life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Thor is not eating! *sigh* (LONG)

What are you feeding? Have you switched recently/ever?

He started off on Iams when he was a pup, then went over to Nutro, and now he's on Purina ProPlan. He's been like this FOREVER! I don't wanna have to keep switching foods. He doesn't have any problems on any of the foods...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh I completely understand the not wanting to switch, just wanted to know where you were coming from He sounds very similar to my picky boy, Darwin. I obviously can't actually see him, but from the pics he looks ok. If you are truly worried about his weight though, you could try adding a bit of wet food to his meals and then wean him from it once he's eating consistantly. You might also try salmon oil, yogurt, cottage cheese or anoth healthy add on to give him a jump start. I've found that Darwin eats much better with competition (my other dogs) eating really close to him. Good luck with your boy

It's hard to tell in the pics. *How tall is he? *I have 3 tall, lanky ones that I doubt will ever be "fat". *Have you tried moistening the food a little when you give it to him? *What does the vet say about his weight?

Just saw Nicole posting; and I agree with her. Maybe try the grizzly salmon oil or some yogurt/cottage cheese with it and see if he likes it better then.

Thanks for your replies

Last time I measure how tall he was, I don't know if it was very accurate...but he was about 24" to his shoulders. He was last in at the vet's a month ago and was close to 65 lbs but he was only going in for some shots so I didn't get to speak to the vet. I have an appointment tomorrow about neutering and I will ask then.

Zoezoe, yes I have tried moistening his food when he was on Nutro, and the first few days he'd eat it, and then after that he went back to being picky and I would end up throwing the food out.

kym

we add a little pumpkin and yogurt to Lola's food, she's not picky, but they are good for her and they may help Thor

That really sounds like Mocha was when she was younger. As long as he's acting normal and everything else is normal, poo, drinking, energy I would stick to your guns and only give him the kibble and only do it like you have been for 15 minutes then pick it up. Honestly I went for several weeks or longer with Mocha where I was picking up her food and she still wasn't eating. I would put some wet food in it and she would eat the first day or two then stop, I put a few treats in it and the same thing, some water the same thing...... She also would take treats with no problem. I finally took her to the vet. The vet told me that her weight was great and she was not to skinny that she was just getting more attention by not eating and she liked the treats better than the food so she figured out she could not eat the regular good and get what she wanted. She suggested absolutely no treats just regular kibble put it down take it up and told me not to make a big deal about feeding time just set it down maybe say time to eat then if she dosn't take it up and try again next time. I did exactly this. She didn't eat anything for 2 1 /2 days then decided she was hungry and has eaten every meal since then. I also switched her food during this period, I was feeding Nutro. She now scarfs her food like a normal lab. I think some of the skinny looking is just his age and that he's not fixed. You may want to check for parasites because I've heard they can cause a dog to stay skinny but I'm sure he probably has been checked already.

Good luck I hope it's nothing.