Depression

Thread: Depression

koabear is offline Senior Member

DefaultDepression

Can dogs become depressed? Koa's been really bummed out lately...and i don't know why. Well It did kind of start after Cooper the GR went back home after his week long visit. :-\

Opinions? Anybody else experienced this 'depression' with your dawwgs??
    Koa<br /><br />&amp; Brittanie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Depression

I'm not sure. I read in a medical book that dogs can get some type of depression, for whatever reason, but it is difficult to diagnose.

Mine definitely sulk. I know a lot of people (non-doggy people, mostly) say "its a dog...it can't sulk" but honestly I think they can. Mine, for example, are miserable when made to go out in the rain. Maisy hates the rain the most and walks behind us, head down, sloowwlly when normally she would be running about with the others. If THAT isn't sulking I don't know what is!

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yep, I believe they can have bad days; bad times. Maybe do something special like going out to the park or for an extra long walk; car ride with treats; something to perk him up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Yes, dogs can certainly suffer from depression, especially in the situation you just described. More attention, more walks, more activity in general should help.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

It doesnt sound that much different than what humans might experience. And that isn't surprising...I know lots of folks with dogs and cats and both species have what I would consider days where they are blue. They all perk up tho with some attention and exercise.

nanabearski is offline Senior Member

Sure dogs can get depressed, especially if someones they do love and had fun with goes away.

Try to do special stuff for a few days, to let him know everything is ok.
    Adriana owned by Bear &amp; Bunny<br />

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I believe it.. my folks have been gone for 2 weeks (coming back in a week) and Saba mopes around, sleeps a lot or just lies down and looks sad most of the time - unless I play with him or take him for a walk. My mom doesn't work so she always takes him for walks about 2 times a day when I'm at work. He goes to their bedroom and leaves toys on their bed.. probably thinking "hey, got you a present - will you come back?" lol.. or just lies on their bed which he never did before.
    so yeah, I think they can feel depressed from time to time. it will probably pass.

patm is offline Senior Member

When Emilu was gone for 9 days at the stud dogs kennel, Skippy only ate twice the whole time. As soon as she walked back in the house, he ran over to his food bowl and started eating. He doens't even act like he even likes her half the time, but he sure depends on her.

crzyrun is offline Junior Member

Does anyone have advice on helping a lab deal with a death in the family?