Constant diarrhea
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant diarrhea

DefaultConstant diarrhea

Ozzie is now 4.5 months and has been having :-[...about every other week. We have had him in and out of the vet and they cannot find any parasites or a reason for this problem. He has been on pro plan for large breeds since day one (breeder recommended). We have decided to change his food but need some insight on which brands. Our vet recommended Royal Canin....ever heard of that? Suggestions please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Constant diarrhea

Have you cut out all other treats to make sure it's the food? I had similar problems a few weeks ago and we had to cut out all Ender's treats to make sure it was the food that was causing the problem.

After that, we put him on a bland diet... chicken and rice ONLY until his stools firmed up consistently...

then we gradually added in a new food (suggested by Labby Laura), ProPlan LB Puppy incidently... and he's been pretty good ever since. Now his stools are either completely firm or semi-soft (but still pickupable)

Never in a million years did I think owning a dog would cause me to talk about poop so much. Others on the forum will have more suggestions I'm sure.
    ~Lindsay

No I haven't...but we only have him on one type of treat (he is in puppy school-graduating tomorrow) so we can try it after that. Thanks for the idea!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

You mentioned that this happens every other week... is something else going on at that time? How long does it last and what do you do to get it to stop?

Sorry for the million questions but as I learned earlier... there are a million things to consider... it's fairly mind boggling.
    ~Lindsay

I beleive that Labby (laura) has said that giardia won't always show up in test's. Giardia can cause bouts of diarreah. I beleive she had said use Pancur for like a week and then 5 days off and the another week on. You might PM her to see and then see what you vet has to say.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is it possible he is eating things without you realizing? if he has only just started having problems with the ProPlan and he has been on it his whole life, that makes me wonder if it could be other things causing the diarrhea. I'm sure it happens but I doubt he has suddenly developed an intolerance to an ingredient in the food.

Personally I would put him on a bland diet (chicken/rice) for a few days to bind him up. After a few days, start feeding the ProPlan again (I assume you'll want to finish the bag and see if the food is causing the problems) and slowly introduce the new food.

I have no experience with Royal Canin but many people have success with the natural/holistic type kibble. Brands vary from place to place but generally these foods work well for dogs with sensitive systems and allergies.

We just had him tested for giardia and it came back negative....we have been giving him meds from the vet and feeding him rice to bind him up, which has been working but think it may be time to change his food.

He isn't getting anything other than his food/treats during the day-we always have a close eye on him since we work from home. Right now he is taking meds again (Flagyl 500mg) which is working, so once he is back to normal we will try taking treats away for a few days and see if maybe that's it.

Thanks for everyone's responses...I really appreciate them!

labby is offline Senior Member

IF its giardia, the Flagyl will not help. Giardia has become resistant to Flagyl. Giardia is VERY hard to find in the stool.

Tell your vet you want to try Panacur for 7 days. Then you're going to skip 7 days, then do Panacur for another 5.

Laura

The test for giardia came back negative...it was done in-house and sent out to a lab (no pun intended ) So we are using the Flagyl for the diarrhea, whihc has been working....you still think we should try the Panacur?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Never in a million years did I think owning a dog would cause me to talk about poop so much. Others on the forum will have more suggestions I'm sure.
    LOL I think I must have been used to it before we got Tasman with twinboys!! ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast