Is THIS bunny hopping??

Thread: Is THIS bunny hopping??

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs THIS bunny hopping??

Apologies in advance for the blurry nature of both videos... I'm not co-ordinated enough to Chuck-It and video with a camera at the same time!!* ;D

When Henry runs full out, he gets full extension of both his front and rear legs... stretches out full then all four paws come in together, then out again. Front legs move together, rear legs move together. Is this bunny-hopping??

When he trots, all four legs move on their own.

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...Z2BW7ZRIFDXY2Q

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...W1YVXL16XV7LVE

I was curious after reading the other thread about bunny hopping. In January, his right rear hip was xrayed and the vets saw no dysplastic changes (in fact, they said his hip looked really nice) but I know he does have some laxity in that knee.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Is THIS bunny hopping??

Video #1 was too short. Video #2 appears to be normal running to me.

I'm going to see if I can find an example on the internet to post. My neighbor's lab bunny hops and honestly, it just looks like a bunny hopping. I just don't know another way to describe it.

JessicaM82 is offline Junior Member

He looks o-kay to me. My Lucy bunny hops, she had OCD in both knees, she has since had surgery on both but will always bunny hop. When she runs, both back legs go together, almost like they are tied togehter at the ankles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

When she runs, both back legs go together, almost like they are tied togehter at the ankles
    Yes...that's a good description. Also, sometimes they will only use one back leg (hold the other up and out of the way).
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

It looks like a normal gallop to me. You might think his rear legs lift at the same time b/c each leg stays on the ground for a split second (eg, each of Greyhound's paws stays on the ground for only 0.09 second in gallop; Lab is probably a little slower). It is probably too fast for an untrained eye to catch that rear legs actually move in sequence.

I don't have a trained eye, but I've been watching dog gaits like crazy with Scotty's joint issues. IMHO, Henry's gallop does not look weird or wrong.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

That's the same way Buddy runs. I don't think that's what they're talking about. At least I sure hope it isn't.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie