Gluc./Chon. Dosage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluc./Chon. Dosage

DefaultGluc./Chon. Dosage

I know this has been asked many of times (atleast at the old board) and I tried doing a search, but couldn't find my answer.

How much glucosamine and chondroitin do you give for joint maintenance? Sandy is 7 (almost 8 years old) and has been getting just a little stiff lately. She'll have just a little bit of a tough time getting up and every once in a while she's quite slow going up the stairs.

I bought a bottle of Gluc./Chon. complex from Sam's Club and I'm not sure what amount I need to give. It contains 750 mg of glucosamine and 600 mg of chondroitin. After reading a handfull of posts about people using gluc./chon. for their dogs and it seems some are giving quite a range of mg.

Being I'm back at work now (WOO HOO!!!!), I hardly get on here any more. It may take me a couple of days to check back in, but I certainly will. So don't feel as though I abandoned my own thread if I don't reply right away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Gluc./Chon. Dosage

I give about twice that amount for Jes (who has hip dysplasia), but it seems like most people that do it strictly for prevention use 750 mg of glucosamine. I'd think one pill a day would suffice.

You're right, there is a wide range because it's still relatively new and experimental. There's no one magical dose for all dogs. You'll find people with varying opinions on how much to give.

I give one 500mg Cosequin every day purely for prevention (hoping research will support the preventive nature of this supplementation)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cosequin, IMO, is a different scenario. It's formula is patented, and it's allegedly the purest formula and one of the more absorbable formulas out there (the list studies, but I'm not certain who performed them - I do believe they were published in peer-reviewed journals though).

I like Cosequin, it's what I use. I've read anecdotal evidence of Cosequin being as effective as other supplements, but at lower doses.

If she's already showing stiffness and you think she might have the beginnings of arthritis, I'd give her 2 pills ... 1500mg. That's the dose my vet recommends for older dogs and you can even go higher if they are really arthritic.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I use Cosequin too like Nick. Rider also has mild HD and we are on 1500mg a day. Each pill has 500mg in it and he get's 3 a day.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I forgot I didn't mentioner her weight, she's 70 lbs. It seems as though weight doesn't seem to make a difference as to amount.

If she's already showing stiffness and you think she might have the beginnings of arthritis, I'd give her 2 pills ... 1500mg.
    I have been thinking of that since the first time she shown stiffness. She hasn't been doing this for a long period of time. She's been a little stiff here and there for about a month. I will be discussing this with the vet at her next appointment which is in about a month.

Also, what does Cosequin run? I paid $25 for 170 pills (I think) of what I bought.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also give G&C as a preventative to my Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01).

Puff gets one tablet/day of Kirkland Glucosamine* (750 mg) and Chondroitin (600 mg).* I (who is about 2.6X as heavy) take two/day.

Nutriceuiticals are not governed by FDA regulations and potencies vary often between Zero and less than advertised strength.

FWIW, the latest issue of CU's Consumer Reports rated the Kirkland G&C as having the most potency.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

It will cost you a lot more to buy it from your vet. *I buy it on Ebay, and it runs about $155 for 650 pills or $.23/pill. *It's roughly an 11 month supply for me (going through 2 pills a day per the bottle/vet). *It's certainly not the cheapest supplement out there, but I think it's the best. *There are other good formulas, too, though if price is a concern. *I would at least stick with those that have been tested for purity. *Some companies (since they're not regulated by the FDA) skimp on the amount.
    Glucosamine Supplements Rated by Consumer Labs
    Ebay Cosequin

As for the weight, yes it can make a difference, but I was assuming the weight range was between 60 and 90 pounds. *If a dog is significantly outside of that range, they may require more or fewer tablets.

FWIW, the latest issue of CU's Consumer Reports rated the Kirkland G&C as having the most potency.
    I'll have to remember that, I don't think it's on CL's list, but I also don't have a membership so it doesn't show the full report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast