food suppliments resulting in human depression symptoms

Thread: food suppliments resulting in human depression symptoms

Defaultfood suppliments resulting in human depression symptoms

My friend Lya is eating Venison and potatoes for allergies. OK, that is not a balanced food, so she is meant to be taking supplements. Supplement attempt # 1 has failed as she is allergic to something in Prozyme.

" Prozyme, Lincolnwood, IL—offers a human-grade, plant-derived enzyme powder supplement with protease, amylase, cellulase and lipase for dogs, cats and other pets that is especially beneficial for treating allergies, immune and digestive disorders, older animals, joint problems, bloating, flatulence, and skin and coat problems. Designed to be sprinkled on food, Prozyme improves digestion and boosts absorption of vital nutrients, including essential fatty acids. The product has been recommended by noted alternative health author Andrew Weil, MD, and has been proven effective in published clinical studies. "

This is after attempt number 1 and number 2 of trying to get her back onto a commercial dog food failed.

Thank God for carrots. She is not allergic to carrots!

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: food suppliments resulting in human depression symptoms

I'm confused. What are her symptoms?

Prior to going on a limited ingredient diet she had ear infection after another with skin infections and major scratching and licking. So now she is on a limited ingredient diet. But, it is not a balanced diet with all the proper nutients so she is suppose to be taking suppliments.

And, the first suppliments we tried...she is allergic to those too. Thus my depression :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Did she get exactly the same symptoms on the Prozyme as on the food?

A couple of things I would do if this were my dog:

(1) Consult with my breeder (assuming you got her from one) and find out if she's had these issues w/ her dogs/puppies before and if so, how she handled it.

(2) Consult w/ a holistic vet and an allergist.*

I would be, as I can tell you are, very concerned about feeding such a limited ingredient, unbalanced diet.

So sorry you are having such difficulties.

Thank you! She was a rescued and went through one pound and two Rescue organizations before we got her. One theory is that she was way over vaccinated and that is why she is having these allergy symptoms. I guess it is common in rescued dogs to be over vaccinated and I could see how it would happen.

She is seeing a dermatologist and I guess soon we are going to have to pay the dollars for the Nutritionist as well. Alone the Nutrionist bill would not be so bad, but now it represents over two months worth of venison.

I know this is common for Lab owners to go through this, I just did not expect it on this level.

Thanks again,

Morgan

as far as ''balancing'' the diet, it might help you to remeber this Doesn't mean the same as a balanced diet for humans.
    since dogs are carnivores, they are well able to produce everything they need on a diet of protein [which the venison provides] and fat [which is their
    in the wild, they would get very few carbs--perhaps a few berries, plus whatever is digesting in the intestines of prey.
    i would be much more concerned that there is enough fat in the diet, as venison is extremely low in fat.
    a dog trying to cope with various skin/allergy problems needs IMO a Very high-fat diet to help them help themselves--it's hard to heal without a good source of energy! i would like to see the fat content somewhere around 25-30%. [if it is very much lower at this point, be sure to add more over a period of 2-3 weeks, building gradually, to avoid the runs]