Lizzies not eating her dry feed!!!

Thread: Lizzies not eating her dry feed!!!

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

DefaultLizzies not eating her dry feed!!!

Lizzie, 7 months old and would eat anything has gone off her dry feed, lately we have been trying her on different stuff such as tinned moist foods, sardines, tuna etc. Could it be that she has had too much variety and is becoming fussy? my hubby thinks that she would eat her dry feed if she was hungry but i'm not so sure. She doesn't seem unwell and is acting like her normal hungry self. She seems so disapointed when I put her dry feed out she has a sniff then with her tail between her legs she walks sadly away....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lizzies not eating her dry feed!!!

You've created a fussy eater. This is what happens when you start "trying her on different stuff such as tinned moist foods, sardines, tuna etc."

Put the dry food down for 10 minutes. No begging her to eat. Just put it down. If she doesn't eat it in the required time, you pick up the food and DO NOT give her anymore opportunities to eat (no treats, no kongs, nothing) until her next scheduled feeding time.

Then you put the same amount of food down for 10 minutes. If she eats half of it, then the next scheduled feeding you put down the half she didn't eat. You DO NOT ADD FOOD UNTIL THE DISH IS COMPLETELY EMPTY. If she leaves 1 kernal of food, then that's what she gets at the next scheduled feeding time.

She will eat eventually. You will have to harden yourself not to give in otherwise you will be at that princess' beck and call for the rest of her life. She is a dog. Treat her as one.

Laura

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Ditto Exactly what Labby said. Mocha did this too about the same age actually. I did the meals and nothing in between NO TREATS until she started eating. She didn't eat anything for 2 1/2 day then started chowing down and has ever since.

Now if she is acting strange at all get to the vet. But if she's acting normal be a hard a$$ she'll eat when she's hungry but it may take a few days.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, I agree that I have unintentionally created a fussy eater ??? Until recently Lizzie only had her dry food and some dog treats, but after reading posts on here and talking to friends I thought that I should try her on sardines or tuna once a week, and the occassional tin of moist stuff. Lizzie is treated like a dog, Not like a princess...

Dani is offline Senior Member

Oh come on...you prolly spoil your dog just like the rest of us do...It's okay to admit it.

A dog will not intentionally starve itself. They will get the idea.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Okay Dani, I do spoil her, just a bit... ...

labby is offline Senior Member

LOL

Laura