strange behaviour!

Thread: strange behaviour!

Defaultstrange behaviour!

Pluto is acting quite strangly today..I was working on some obeidence today and found him to be less active..He kept on scratching himself and on examination i found no sign of infection. He would also sit down and then drag himself place to place as if he was trying to scratch his butt..Could some one please explain what is this as I havent ever experienced such a behaviour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: strange behaviour!

Often dogs drag their behinds on the ground when they are having anal gland troubles. You may want to take him to the vet to have his anal glands checked and expressed.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Can also be a sign of worms.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thx the vet told me to deworm him again . Out here in india vets arent all that competent and this chap knew nothing of anal sacs or their emptying. seems that being a doctor myself i'd most likely be better off releiving him myself (YUUUUKKKKK) but u got to do what u gotto do!!! :'(

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Be careful w/ the anal sacks. You have to know what you are doing. Pluto is very young, right? I'd be surprised if it was the anal sacks. Does he have firm or soft poop? If it's firm, they will usually express themselves. Of course, not always.

Betting on worms ....

his stool is normal ie. not to soft and not too firm. I'ma definately deworm him again and see if it is that which is causing the problem before I do anything else.

Hello,

My puppy Kenda, use to drag her butt all the time. She got dewormed 3 different times and still did it. The Vet said therewere no eggs in her poop and she was clear. It turned out she had a tapeworm. She ended up getting these huge pills and seems to be all cleared up now. She has only dragged her butt once in the last 3 weeks, compared to 5-10 times a day. She also seemed pretty small for her age (she is 4months) at the time, which the vet said could be from the lack of weight gain from the tapeworm, since then she has filled out nicely. I hope this helps.

Sherry

Yeah that could be one of the many possibilities. I'll still wait and see what happens after he's dewormed . However pluto is growing up quite nicely infact was growing up too much until i cut his diet a bit.

labradore Guest

It sounds like he has worms.
    Thats a very common sign of them.
    Get some tablets from the vets and try and force it down his throat because normally they won't take them and the tablets also can't be chewed.
    Good Luck...Emilie.

If your boy won't take the pill, try a hotdog......

Our boy Indie won't take pills....quite an issue until we discovered that if we slit a small piece of a hot dog with a knife and inserted the pill into the slit, he took it immediately. He can't get the pill out of the hot dog piece to spit it back out. Much less traumatic than forcing the pill down a reluctant dog's throat....even our vet uses this technique on reluctant dogs now after he tried to give Indie two pills last summer and couldn't get them down for "nuthin", even hidden in a spoonful of Alpo!