Kennel Cough Vaccine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough Vaccine

DefaultKennel Cough Vaccine

Well, I know this question has probably come up many times before, but I don't remember seeing it lately.* I'm wondering what you all think of giving/or not giving the Kennel Cough vaccine?

I may have to leave Dee in kennels in the next couple of weeks and I've sort of been humming and hawing over whether to bother with this vaccine for awhile now.* It seems from what I read that there are so many strains of the virus that even if you've given the vaccine there's still a good chance your dog will pick the cough up if exposed.* The kennels here currently don't require it because it hasn't been a problem here in recent months.* If there is any sign of it locally then I wouldn't have a choice as it would be mandatory if I wanted to board her, but for now it's not.* My Vet says that even though there are different strains of KC the vaccine will help by decreasing the severity if she did happen to get it. Has anyone found this to be true?* From everything I've read it just seems like many people aren't bothering due to the worry of over vaccinating, and the fact that KC generally isn't too serious.* I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.

This will be my baby's first time in the kennels and I'm NOT looking forward to leaving her.* :-\* It won't be unfamiliar to her because it's the same place we take classes twice a week, but still I'm going to worry while I'm gone. She's still such a puppy.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough Vaccine

It doesn't really work, but is required for most boarding kennels. I get Rider done anyways...but I feel that since he actually got Kennel Cough once already that has increase his resistance against KC and not the vaccination.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Mine used to get it because I had a lot of fosters coming in.* One of my fosters had it last year, none of mine got it, but one of my other fosters did; however, she had a very low resistance due to hw treatment and pneumonia earlier in the year.* I'm not fostering* this year and have elected not to give the bordatella* unless they have to be boarded.* Most kennels will require your dog have it in order to be boarded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The KC vaccine protects against some strains of KC, not all. In that regard, it would similar to the flu shot. There is no way to protect against all strains because they are always mutating.

If your dog is going to be in a boarding or day care or show situation, basically anytime she'll be around a lot of strange dogs, I would give the vaccine. That doesn't guarantee that she won't get KC unless she happens to be exposed to one of the strains covered by the vaccine but some protection is better than none. If she's just going to be in your home, then I'd skip it.

My dogs only get the vaccine during show season where we are around a lot of dogs which have been traveling all over the country and you never know what they might be bring in. In Feb this year, 8 dogs came down with KC right after a show. That was the only place that all 8 had been.

My dogs have all been vaccinated for it in the past, but I'm not doing it this year. Darwin's come down with kennel cough each summer (eventhough he's been up to date on bordetella), I'm interested to see if he gets it this year. I haven't decided what to do with Puzzle yet.

Thanks for your responses Dani, zoezoe, rottnlabs and JacksAndLabs. *I guess I'm probably going to end up getting the vaccine, although it may not be before this stay. *I've just been hesitant because as a pup she seemed to have been allergy prone, so if the vaccine wasn't really going to give major protection and KC generally isn't that serious, I figured it was one that I could probably do without. *Lately her ears have been so much better. *We live in a rather isolated area so if there's KC around the Vet's and Boarding Kennels pretty much know right away as a rule. *However, at some point I'm probably going to end up "having" to have it done for boarding reasons, and if it's of significant use then it makes sense I suppose. *I just seem to have read so many posts from people on various boards that say they don't bother with it and just think of KC like a bad cold. ??? *I know it can be nasty though.* I think we have to have "yearly" vaccines (rather than the every three years that some Vets and people are going to now) to board at the local kennels, so that will be another one to think about. *A few other questions re: KC please *:

I know that there's both a "nasal" and a "shot" type of KC vaccine and I wondered which is the best one to give?* Any Vets or Vet Techs. on the board?* Of course I'll check with my own Vet, but I can't get in there today.

How long does it take for the vaccine to provide any immunity?

Any side effects? *I really don't want to have this vaccine done now and then have her have some sort of reaction when she's in the kennels. *It's about a week until we go.

Have any of you found that the KC (if your dogs got it even after the Bordetella vaccine) was less severe?* JacksandLabs...did you find this with Darwin?* Or Dani with Rider? rottnlabs did all your dogs get KC despite the vaccine? And if yes do think it was less severe than it would have been without the vaccine?

Can you tell I worry alot? *LOL *We're only going for a couple of days and I already have myself in a frazzle thinking about this "first" kennel stay.* The longest we've been apart is for her spay, and even that wasn't over night.* *:-\*

Any other thoughts on KC vaccine etc. appreciated. * *TIA

Magnum had kennel cough before he was vaccinated, then we had to board him about five months later and he was required to get the vaccine. He received the vaccine in Nov at the time of boarding and now he has Kennel cough again. ??? ??? ???

My foster girl had the vaccine; but she had been in a shelter, so she prolly picked it up prior to getting the vac. My vet has developed a letter for us to give to kennels, etc. explaining the 3 year thing. You might see if your vet would do something of the same regarding the other shot(s). My youngest, Cissy, had a rough year last year ... she was turned in to a shelter in AL because her owners didn't want to "fool with her anymore". SU and I couldn't figure out what was so bad, but she has a lot of minor health issues. She was sick with pneumonia from the shelter, lick granulomas, and then had a minor case of demodex. Because her immune system is lower than the others, I don't want her getting any shots that are not 100% necessary. Same for your girl with all her allergy problems. Be sure when you get the shots that are necessary; that you space them out and not get them all at once.
    Truthfully, the KC that my foster girl had didn't seem to slow her down at all. I would force her to rest; but she didn't seemed phased. I think I was more bothered than she was. I've also heard that stress and their immune systems play a big role in whether they will get it or not. Thank goodness all my guys were in good shape as she wasn't isolated from them. By the time she started coughing, she'd been with them all, so they were all exposed.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

ditto to what rottnlabs said about the variety of strains of KC and it being like vaccination against the flu.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rottnlabs did all your dogs get KC despite the vaccine?
    My dogs did not come down with KC but all of my training partners dogs did. Our dogs were not together at the trial because I was running agility and they were doing Rally, obedience and conformation. The dogs all started exhibiting symptoms within just a day or 2 of each other. They kept their dogs quarantined until they were clear. We think it was passed from one of the conformation dogs because the judges insisted on personally looking into each and every dog's mouth, thereby passing dog spit from dog to dog. Then those dogs went and hung out at the obedience rings. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast