Pork...like pigs not legislation????

Thread: Pork...like pigs not legislation????

DefaultPork...like pigs not legislation????

Is there a reason why pork is not used much in commerical dog foods? We are working to find protiens that my dog is not allergic to. We have venison down, but in about two weeks need to test the next protien.

Let me be clear I am talking about a homecooked situation not raw. Any meats she eats will be well done cooked.

Thanks,

Morgan is Itchy Lya
    and Friend Rocco

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pork...like pigs not legislation????

It's expensive. That's the simple reason. Most pork is used for human consumption, and there really isn't a lot left for dog foods (we eat it as hot dogs).

Eagle Pack uses pork meal, and they do have a pork based food (their Original formula), but it's not really for dogs with allergies. It's really digestible, and I believe has an excellent amino acid profile. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's usually too expensive to make dog food, and to sell it at a reasonable price.

Expensive! Nike, what a sense of humor you have. Compared to what I have been going through it looks like a bargain.

Sitting in the dermatologist office yesterday three of us clients were camparing notes. One lady has started to calculate her bills by the major appliances she can no longer afford..."Well, the first bill wiped out a refiguator, and then the second trip took care our a stove..."

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco :-*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There are a lot of chicken products that are even cheaper for dog foods. Items that we may not eat (like chicken backs) are less than $.50/lb (at least that's what I pay for the raw part of Jes' diet, and I'm sure they get it even cheaper for buying so much).

I don't know what pork goes for, but I'm just going by what Eagle Pack says regarding the cost of pork.

Q: Why do you use Pork?
    A: Pork is hypoallergenic, is one the 3-most digestible animal meal proteins and today is parasite free. It is expensive so is not often used by other brands.
    http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/faq.html