z/d diet

Thread: z/d diet

jrnooch is offline Junior Member

Defaultz/d diet

Has anybody ever put their lab on a z/d low allergen diet in order to try and figure out what exactly the dog is allergic to? If so, did it work? Any other thoughts or comments relating to this this topic would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

roccolya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: z/d diet

We tried it after our dog had been ear infection free for a month and a half. It did not work. After about three meals she started to shake her head again and scratch her ears. So we have to go back to home cooked.

This in no way means that it would not work for your dog. We have an idea that maybe our dog is reacting to preservatives etc.

Tell us how it goes.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco
    Michigan

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well Sami here has a history of food allergy problems. *First foods resulted in itching, then I found a formula where she didn't itch. *Only problem was it resulted in a host of GI problems leading to colitis. *Sigh. * At the beginning of April my vet recommended Waltham's Hypoallergenic HP diet. *I decided to try one more thing before going that route -- California Natural (made by Natura) makes a food with only 7 ingredients. *You can get either chicken or lamb based. * Lo and behold, it worked. * I'm really not saying this will work for your dog ... just letting you know what has worked for mine. *

Just make sure that whatever food trial you decide to try, that you ONLY give that food. *No treats or anything else that will effect the outcome (my vet did tell me that she felt like apples, bananas and carrots were other foods I could feed that would not be allergens). *

What are the specific allergy symptoms your dog has? *What do you currently feed? *And what other foods have you tried in the past?

I've been in your shoes and know just how frustrating it is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrnooch
    Has anybody ever put their lab on a z/d low allergen diet in order to try and figure out what exactly the dog is allergic to?* If so, did it work?* Any other thoughts or comments relating to this this topic would be greatly appreciated as well.* Thanks.
    What you are saying is put them on the allergy diet for a time and then add a new protein every 2 weeks. I think that when people try changes they want success too soon. When dogs are allergic it will take a long time to see improvements. You must work at improving their immunity naturally while they are on the special diet and then try adding different foods. It took about 8 months but we did get a rescue much better by giving a high grade cod liver oil and homeopathic products. Sometimes they are better in the winter than in the summer when there are grasses etc so they do go backwards sometimes when there are more allegens.

Well lets see. He started out on Nutro Large Breed Puppy. He seemed to be okay on this food. About a month or two after switching him to the Adult version of the brand of food he start to itch and bite himself more then normal. His back also seemed to be more sensitive as he had exaggerated reflexes. We have always feed him other stuff in addition to his kibble such as apples, carrots, bananas, salmon, milk bones, raw soup bones, and even a supplement vitamin recommended by the breeder. This stuff we have given him since we had him. The only change in diet that corresponded to his potential allergy problem was changing to the Adult food.

The z/d diet is the vets idea and he said it takes 10 weeks to really work. I am willing to try it, although the food is expensive and the bags are smaller. The vet said its easier to try and figure out a food allergy then an environmental allergy and that its always better to discover what exactly the dog is allergic to rather then just treating the symptoms with medicine.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Dani is offline Senior Member

How old is your dog? If he is under a year your vet should have also told you that most dogs don't show any signs of alloergies until well after their first year. Usually between 1 and 3 years. Also, your vet should have told you that food allergies account for less than 5% of allergies in dogs.

But I am pretty sure that because they get a kick back from Science Diet, they will get people to try anything.

I would not personally go to z/d or rollar coaster of food...since it's spring, it could be environmental.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrnooch
    Well lets see.* He started out on Nutro Large Breed Puppy.* He seemed to be okay on this food.* About a month or two after switching him to the Adult version of the brand of food he start to itch and bite himself more then normal.*
    Why not try going back on the old food if he did alright on it?

I can't go back to the old food because it is a puppy formula.

My dog is 13 mo old. That is a very interesting stat you gave me. Less then 5% of allergies are food related huh? Well, being a gambling man, I think the odds are in my favor to say my vet is taking advantage of me and that my dog's allergies are environmentally related. Where did you find this stat?

roccolya is offline Senior Member

Two traffic jams later, we just got back from the Dermatologist. We discussed why the Venison and Potato IVD and then the z/d diet failed when the home cooked food was fine. He was thinking that since the IVD is made on the same line as some other foods their might be contamination. Then, pertaining the Z/D is that the technology just might not work. Nevermind it maked their breath smell horrible.

I think that these allergies are really really difficult, and I bet many vets just do not know much about them. The folks with special training who do nothing but have difficulties.

Pertaining food allergies, my dog had ear infections and scratching consistantly prior to changing her food and she just had her second month of zero ear infection.

Know what and who to believe is hard and really stressful.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco