Bob Pr. or anyone else re: staph infections

Thread: Bob Pr. or anyone else re: staph infections

daisyandwikismom is offline Senior Member

DefaultBob Pr. or anyone else re: staph infections

I noticed in one of the other posts that you mentioned that Puff suffers with staph infections. Does she get little crusty spots on her skin, under her arms and in her groin area? Wiki gets this and the vet thought it might be staph. What do you do for her? I don't like having to give Wiki antibiotics every few weeks but so far thats the only thing that clears it up. I would like to figure out what I can do to stop it. Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Karen & Co

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bob Pr. or anyone else re: staph infections

It does sound like staph. If it is, antibiotics are the drug of choice to clear it up. Can you keep the area dry? This will help control the outbreaks.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The vet(s) I go to are at KSU's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl.

It was definitely staph because they took a light scraping of it and confirmed it each time by a lab test or microscopic inspection.

With Puff (a YF with light pink skin) it shows as a series of red dots or welts which morph into brownish/black scabs whick look like smeared dirt on her skin (that is, without the thickness of usual scabs).

We went through 3 bouts of cephalexin, one right after the other until I asked to see the dermatologist.

She asked me to describe Puff's usual activities and when I said Puff runs offleash an hour in fields of a nature preserve each morning and her belly gets wet with dew, she thought that was the probable cause.* The wet belly picks up pollen, dust, etc., and that -- plus the wet skin -- engenders the staph.

She Rx'ed a medicated shampoo ("Benzoyl Plus") which was to be lathered on the affected area, allowed to remain for 10 minutes, and then flushed clean.* Repeat daily for 14 days, then 3X/week prophylactically.

That was a couple years ago and it works fine.

What we do now (with no symptoms) is to immediately drive from the nature preserve to a clean lake (10 minutes) and then give Puff several water retrieves to let the water flush any dirt from her skin.* Then I have her do a few retrieves from land to shake off excess water.* Then have her jump up and stand* on a picnic table where I use 2 bath towels to dry her, especially her tummy.

This latter works so well that I haven't had to use the medicated shampoo for some time.* I do, however, look at Puff's belly every day AND at the first sign of red rash or dots, I start the medicated shampoo regimen again.

Whenever symptoms recur: I keep a sponge, extra water, and the shampoo bottle* in the van.* At the end of our hour walk in the nature preserve, I have Puff jump up on a large boulder or a bench where I lather the shampoo all over her belly.* Then I drive to the lake (10 minutes) and go through our usual routine.

Hope this helps.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

You may want to try Malaseb shampoo. You need to lather up and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. It works great on my girl who sometimes gets staph on her stomach.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Mocha had a Staph infection on her stomach last summer when she went swimming in a lake with quite a bit of algee in it. She was with my parents and they hosed her off but did not bathe her. She also had a nasty ear infection from it too. (expensive swim...never again) She was on 2 weeks antibiotics, I had to wash her stomach with antibiotic shampoo once a day, and clean her ears twice a day too. It cleared right up for her though and I haven't seen any since then. Now if she goes swimming in a lake she will get a bath afterwards and her ears at least wiped out good.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Thanks for the responses and advice.
    It sounds like the moisture can cause it to start up. The shampoos you mentioned, Bob yours is a prescription right? what about the malaseb, is it over the counter? How often do you use it?
    Puff sounds like she has the perfect routine, I wish I could do that with my 2, but... Wiki does tend to lay in the mud puddle at the park : so maybe that is where it starts. When I bring him home I just hose him off and towel dry him. I think I need to start using the shampoo, and making sure he is totally dry. What about gold bond powder, someone had mentioned that to me before, do you think it's worth a try?
    Thanks again
    Karen

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Once the staph gets established and wide spread, I think we had to go the cephalexin route again to get it under control to the point the "Benzoyl Plus" can handle it.

I seriously doubt that the Gold Bond powder has enough meds to bring that staph under control.* And what would you do if your Lab started licking at it?

I suggest you ask your vet to Rx the "Benzoyl Plus"* If the staph infection isn't too bad, maybe 10-14 days of repeated apps might cure it.

I've been pleased with the "Benzoyl-Plus"* With our regimen (our daily swims, the thorough drying after) our first bottle lasted about 1½ years until we needed a second bottle which is still at least half full.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We have used simplicef for 2 weeks at a time, 3 times now. Every time he goes off the spots come back, usually within 2 weeks. I'm afraid he may build up his tolerance for it and when he really needs it, it is not going to work. I'm sure I'll be back at the vets within the next couple of weeks I will certainly ask about the shampoo.
    Your Puff is a very lucky dog to be able to have a routine like that. You are a very dedicated "Father"
    Thanks much
    Karen