Licking, biting legs/feet

Thread: Licking, biting legs/feet

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultLicking, biting legs/feet

I pulled this off another forum from a gal who helped me tremendously with demodex. Her methods have proven to work for me; thought I would share this one for those who might have some itching problems going on.

QUOTE:

Kenny likely has allergies -- and the feet take a beating because it's the first place they 'show' and the feet walk thru all sorts of green stuff, pollen, etc.

Try swishing Kenny's feet in black tea (plain old Lipton or whatever) once a day and dry with a turkish towel -- it helps. Be faithful tho -- but it will help.

You may also want to try Benedryl -- can help particularly if it's seasonally worse.

Teach him 'no licking' as a command. When you see him lick, GO TO HIM and massage the feet and say "no licking, Kenny". Distract him. Nothing will make him stop -- they TINGLE and bother him. And then once started it's an instant habit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Licking, biting legs/feet

Huckle had bad seasonal allergies too and he was constantly chewing on his feet. It definately helped when I washed his feet and undercarriage off every time he came in for inside. It sounds like the tea bath would even be better.

whitelab is offline Member

just a note, in case its not allergies it can be anxiety also. It is very common for them to lick and bite the feet and leg area when they have separation anxiety.
    <br />see pictures of all my babies<br />http://seehankplay.blogspot.com<br />(click on archives to see more photos)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yep, I've got one that has OCD and gets lick granulomas on her legs occasionally. Thank goodness it's down to one small spot. When I got her from the shelter, she had no hair on her legs from licking.

I have experienced this too. Shyanne would bite so much and so hard, she would pant like she had run a marathon. She takes it by spells, and almost becomes obessed with it. The skin in between the toes gets inflammed. Benedryl helps as does ice. I will try the tea thing next time. Must be the tannic acid that relieves the itching.
    Four Labs Kentucky<br />http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-louisvillelabs<br />Sedona, Shyanne, Cali &amp; Hannah<br />Delta Society &amp; WAGS Pet Therapy<br />R.E.A.D. (Paws To Read)