Raw feeders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw feeders

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRaw feeders

Anyone have any opinions on this FOOD?* One of my dog walking buddies was wondering about it.
    <br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Raw feeders

I guess I can give you half of my opinion since I only feed 1/2 raw, but one of the reasons I like raw diets is because of the chewing they have to do (good exercise for their jaws/necks and good for their teeth). Now, I guess you can still get some of that benefit from recreational bones, but part of the fun are the chicken backs, necks, etc.

The ingredients don't look bad, but the bison formula looks a little heavy on the offal to me...at least compared to what I feed Jes. I also didn't see any references to meeting AAFCO guidelines, so you're at their mercy as to if it's properly formulated. I know Steve's Real Food is formulated to meet AAFCO guidelines. It may be a good food, I don't know, but I'd lean towards the more "popular" and tested foods like Steve's or Bravo.

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Kibbles N Bits is formulated to meet AAFCO guidelines and I would not feed it to my dog. This food looks better than Kibbles N Bits.
    <br />Oregon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

I used to feed raw and did quite a bit of research as I made my own. I notice the beef and bison contain mostly organ meat in fact I did not see any muscle meat listed. From what I remember you want to keep organ meat to less than 15% of the total diet. In addition you might want to verify the salmon source if you would use that raw salmon meal, Pacific salmon can contain a parasitic disease that only canids are subseptible to and can be deadly.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

I was checking out the website and when looking at the feeding guide, I noticed that it is forumulated to meet AAFCO standards.* Just thought y'all would like to know.

Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Kibbles N Bits is formulated to meet AAFCO guidelines and I would not feed it to my dog. This food looks better than Kibbles N Bits.
    I suppose we can stick our heads in the sand and ignore years of research, but I prefer not to. There's a reason those standards exist, and a raw diet that isn't properly formulated is more harmful than Kibbles 'n Bits. When research says a certain percentage of an amino acid is required, it's a good bet it's required. I would recommend reading this:

http://www.stevesrealfood.com/facts/pf2002.html
    Many of the alternative or holistic pet owners don’t know how important AAFCO has been to the improvement in pet foods. Many new raw diet manufacturers reject all "establishment" petfood science and do not understand that AAFCO nutrient profiles represent decades of the best science available.

Broadly speaking, there are feeding programs from Schultz, Volhard, and Billinghurst (who popularized Bones and Raw Food or BARF) where the dog owners prepare the food themselves; and complete and balanced commercially available foods meeting AAFCO guidelines, like Steve’s Real Food® for Pets and others. Spencer will elaborate later.
    I stand by my earlier statement, I would prefer to feed a food that is formulated to meet the requirements that research has shown is necessary...and you can do this with other frozen/freeze-dried raw foods.

You asked for opinions, please specify if you're only looking for certain ones.

Okay, thanks Larry...I must have missed that. AAFCO requirements are important, I'm glad to see they were paying attention to them.

That makes me feel better (other than the Bison formula which I believe is too high in offal) about the food.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Eric, just curious, why did you decide to stop feeding raw?
    I used to do homecooked for Zoe ... couldn't see how I could keep up with it for all of them, but with all the kibble ups and downs, it's got me thinking again.

roccolya is offline Senior Member

Given that my dog has had allergic reactions to all commercial food, even when the "allergens" have been removed, Lya's dermatologist is having Dr. Rebecca Remillard, Ph.D., D.V.M., DACVN at www.petdiets.com formulate a homecooked diet program for her.

The dermatologist's biggest concern is that Lya, eating only venison and potatoes, is not getting a balanced diet, so we have to correct that for long term health. Plus I am forced to brush her teeth. :P

This doc has some articles on the web pertaining nutrition and standards etc, which might be helpful.

About raw dog foods prepackaged, organ meat etc...I have found it cheaper to go to the local butcher and buy human grade food. When human grade costs less than commercial dog food, you know someone is taking an extra deposit to the bank.

Plus, as I was using carrots this morning for treats, there is the added benefit of being able to eat it yourself as well.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco
    Michigan

I've noticed that too, it's definitely cheaper to "make" your own diet than buy the preformulated versions...but the trade-off is that the pre-packaged stuff takes the hard part out by formulating the diet for you. It's a good choice for beginners, but more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast