Amputee Issues

Thread: Amputee Issues

LovingMyLabsLori is offline Senior Member

DefaultAmputee Issues

Hi,

My daughter rescued a lab mix from the shelter last year; he is now 16 months old. In January, he was hit by a tractor (he was chasing it) and in the end had to have his leg amputated.

At issue now is that he continually licks the stump, causing it to retain fluid and then has to have it drained. The vet has recommended that a "repellant" of some sort be used in the attempt to stop him from licking the stump. If that doesn't work, then he will have to wear a collar unless someone is with him to distract him from licking.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for the repellant, for example, the bitter apple that has been mentioned here before. My daughter is going to get a kong (after I've read so much about them here!) just in case some of the licking is boredom.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    ** * * <br /><br />Grandquest Itza Callie at Davlo Farm AKC YF 1/2006<br />Majestic Murphy of Davlo Farm*NR BM Rescued 1/2004<br />Black Baby Indio&nbsp; AKC BM* Rescued 9/2004

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Amputee Issues

I wondering if there is something like a retained suture that might be causing him to lick the stump. I've never heard of constant licking causing an extremity to swell.
    <br />Oregon

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering, too, if there may be something else causing him to lick the stump. My daughter has an older dog, 13, who had to have a leg amputated last fall. Being an older dog, it took him longer to recover...but I don't think there was a problem with him licking the stump. Maybe you could ask your vet to check for a suture still in there, or something else bothering the dog? I'm not questioning your vet..nothing like that. I just don't recall our 'granddog' licking his stump.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

when our Brittany, Tanya, suffered nerve damage to her front leg after being hit by a car[she was a rescue tht liked to escape & go on compost-heap 'benders' about every 3 months--ever sleep with Lysol spray on each nightstand?!?]
    the leg was eventually amputated. they didn't leave a stump, went right in & took it all at the shoulder joint. when the fur grew back, you would think she was born that way.
    in fact, visitors to our home would often exclaim in horror, after being there 2-3 hours, ''That dog only has 3 legs!'' uh, duh........
    so maybe if the stump is a constant problem, could they clean things up, so to speak?
    and yes, i also suspect an object/irritation in there. it happens!
    or do dogs have ''phantom limb'' pain like humans? and how could you know?

LovingMyLabsLori is offline Senior Member

Update.....poor King had to go back into surgery. At the checkup yesterday, they removed the sodden bandage and realized that the hole that had been left by the needle draining had opened, moved the still healing muscle and that the bone was now protruding. So, the muscle had to be pulled back in and around the bone, followed by the skin stitching.

They looked for a non disolved suture but didn't find one so it is most likely the licking that caused the fluid retention. A last resort will be to completely remove the shoulder. I am wishing now that we had gone with a complete, to the chest, amputation, but hindsight as they say is 20/20.

King is also a rescue who likes to escape...the day he was hit, he was only alone for the length of time it took my husband to walk in the house and pour a glass of tea. ....Literally. He is now only outside with a leash or long lead...King I mean, not the dear husband!

DD will now be using the collar and definitely a frozen Kong to help with licking of other body parts if indeed it is caused by boredom while our daughter is at work (she now lives outside of our home, otherwise he would be with me while she works).
    ** * * <br /><br />Grandquest Itza Callie at Davlo Farm AKC YF 1/2006<br />Majestic Murphy of Davlo Farm*NR BM Rescued 1/2004<br />Black Baby Indio&nbsp; AKC BM* Rescued 9/2004

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update on King.....hope things go well after the next surgery.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Paula is offline Senior Member

Poor King, I sure hope he heals up quickly.

labradore Guest

Poor king,
    Hope he gets well soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

phaereet is offline Member

I also share the idea of disturbing phantom sensation. Humans benefit taking amitriptilin. I have heard that amitriptilin is also allowed in dogs' behavioral problems.
    You can ask the Vet. for this issue

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I hope King will stop licking after the second surgery. Poor doggie. Let us know how he's doing.