Scratching

Thread: Scratching

DefaultScratching

My dog has been scratching his ribs more than usual for the past few weeks. We are thinking about switching his food from Nutro Lamb and Rice. Any suggestions on a good quality kibble that is made up of a different base than his current diet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scratching

i'd rule out other things before going on the food rollercoaster.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    i'd rule out other things before going on the food rollercoaster.
    Any recommendations on how to rule out other things?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

The vet told me if the itching problems start as the seasons change it is most likely environmental. I really don't know how you could be sure. My dog licks and scratches and it drives me crazy. I am on the food roller coaster and sometimes she is on a food and does great for a few months and then it starts again. Right now she is finishing up a big of purina turkey and barley........I'll try anything. I don't think this is the right food for her so I'll be trying something else ....... don't know what yet. I may try a bag of perscription food from the vet.... I think it's duck and potatoes or something like that.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Zack has the same issues every year in the spring. He's definately allergic to something in the environment. I have a strong feeling it has to do with the ducks and geese in the lake. Usually it's his belly that's the problem first, then it spreads. Allergies to the environment are tough to figure out.

Each time the allergy starts up I've been changing the food. I always thought this helped, but now I'm not sure if that was the solution or the environmental allergies just going away. I had him on the same Nutro mix you are using and changed him to Nutro's chicken and rice mixture with the oatmeal in it. His belly has cleared up and the itching stopped. But then again, I've been keeping him out of the lake too. The pet store recommended to try oatmeal as it's supposed to be really good for the skin and coat.

I hope I didn't make matters more confusing. Changing the food could help, but it may only be temporary until the scratching/allergies flare up again.

Sounds environmental; this is the bad time of the year for that kind of thing to flare up. I'd try benadryl and maybe even wiping him down with a warm wet cloth after being outside.

labradore Guest

It sounds like shes allergic to something.
    Atopy or (inhalant allergy) is by far the most common cause of allergies in dogs. Many of these pets suffer from intense itching and usually have a seasonal pattern initially, but it may turn into a year-round problem. Other animals may show only mild signs, and treatments for dry skin, skin infections, or fleas may solve most of the problem.

Fatty acids have been recommended for years to improve coat quality and shine. Recently, new research has shown that certain fatty acids - the omega-3 fatty acids - are also very beneficial in the treatment of allergies in dogs and cats. Omega-3 fatty acids work in the skin to help reduce the amount and effects of histamine and other chemicals that are released in response to allergies. Not every allergic pet responds to omega-3 fatty acids. Some pets show improvements, others have a complete cure, and others show no change after being on the omega-3 fatty acids. Most pets need to be on the omega-3 fatty acids daily for several weeks to months to notice significant improvement. Omega-3 atty acids are very safe and have very few side effects. Studies show that when omega-3 fatty acids are used in conjunction with other treatments, such as antihistamines, the use of steroids can be decreased or discontinued. Be sure to use an omega-3 fatty acid supplement derived from fish oil. Other types of fatty acids (such as omega-6 fatty acids) can actually make some allergies worse. It is often best to use the omega-3 fatty acid supplements in conjunction with a diet lower in fat.

Topical therapy consists of shampoos and rinses and topical anti-itch solutions. Topical therapy offers immediate, but short-term relief. I recommend bathing atopic dogs at least once every two weeks with a hypoallergenic shampoo or colloidal oatmeal shampoo. Hydrocortisone shampoos may also be used. Weekly or even twice weekly shampoos may offer increased relief for some dogs.

Topical solutions containing hydrocortisone offer some relief. They are the most practical in treating localized itching. Creams or salves are often used on the feet and between the toes and sprays are used on the abdomen or other areas with less hair. These products are very poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, and when used in moderation, do not create long-term side effects or problems associated with injectable or oral steroids. In addition, cooling salves and lotions may also be used. Care must be taken with these to ensure that they do not make the coat too greasy. Dogs may tend to lick off these preparations. After applying these preparations, it is recommended to get the pet involved in some activity to prevent him from licking the treated area.

I hope this helps and your lab gets better.* ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Guinness has been scratching quite a bit the past few days as well... Vet thought that perhaps he has developed a food allergy (to what is still to be determined) so recommended for 8 weeks that he be given nothing but his kibble (of which we just switched to Pro Plan SS from Natural Choice L&R) He was also given a Rx for Vanectyl. It's a combination of an anti-histamine & prednisone to control his scratching & give him some relief. He was in the process of being weened of the Rx when he spent the day with my parents last week. God only knows what he managed to get there... cause he's scratching again like crazy & has broken out in some sort of rash all over his belly.

Vet told me to resume the Rx for 7 days & watch his diet as he was 100x better on the new food. But, I'm also wondering if there is a shampoo that anyone would recommend that might help? Also wondering about an ear cleaning solution? He has had Otomax in the past.. but I was interested in something as a preventative before I start taking him swimming etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

i put my portuguese water dog and my nearly 9mos old lab on wellness venison. andy the pwd is 7yrs old; he developed inhalant allergies at around 2yrs old. he's been on a weekly shot since, but he has been scratching a lot since jan so i recently switched both dogs to wellness from solid gold. andy's scratching less and his eyes stopped getting gunky. the lab puppy, tina's doing fine too but she also did well on s.g.'s wolf cub and at 6mos the hund-n-flocken. anyway i'm leaving them on wellness until there's a reason to switch. maybe less ingredients is better.
    rob

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Riley is scratching herself raw lately, she's now 5 and worse than she has ever been. So answers here may help us too. All I can say is she started scratching when she was about 2 1/2 to 3 and up to now I would have said she is not seasonal but just slowly getting progressively worse. This year a couple of weeks ago, having been pretty good for a while ,she suddenly started going crazy scratching. I certainly don't want to start steroids, food is a problem here as it is expensive and difficult to get much choice... I am sure Riley's allergies are environmental but I am also sure that if I could afford, or better , even obtain, some of these more unusual kibbles it may help.
    This island is a nightmare for people with allergies,* so I guess it applies to dogs too, its warm, damp and very green with every grass and wildflower in full bloom now, mould is rampant, and on top of that its a big Olive crop year here so the trees are full of beautiful yellow flowers which are full of beautiful yellow dusty pollen..... and on the top of Rileys list of allergens is... you guess it the Olive tree!
    Any suggestions for soothing her are welcome, she is miserable with it and has made the back of her ears raw.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog