Skinny puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny puppy

DefaultSkinny puppy

Buddy will not eat much at a time still. I have started putting it down for 15 minutes at a time instead of leaving food out all day and he eats a little but total of about a half a cup or so at a time. He is so skinny and I want to make sure he is well nourished. Any suggestions. Right now I am feeding him Nutro large puppy which he seams to like just fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Skinny puppy

I'm not sure if this will help...my lab does not have a problem eating...lol but my mom has a jack russell puppy (8 months now)...what she used to do was put like a tablespoon of puppy canned food (wet food) into 1/2 cup of dry food and mix it.* (Only once a day though, not for every meal) I guess after while Ava (Jack Rusell) didn't notice the difference. (but some dogs do know the difference..lol) once in a while she will look up at mom and give her the look!!! lol Hope this help, someone else might have a better idea?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

How old is your puppy? Have you tried adding water to his food? I add 3/4 - 1 cup of water to Sami's food (she eats 1 1/4 cup 2x a day).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I got him from the shelter so as far as age we have to guess and most have guessed abot 10-12 months. I have not tried anything but the reg dry food. He seems to like it very well but just does not eat much I will try adding some water and if that doesnt work I will try the other suggestion or any others that you may suggest. Thanks so far.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would try mixing in the canned food and see how that goes. Some dogs just dislike dry food. Do note, however, that if he starts eating dry mixed with wet you will have to feed him this for life!

Our first dog was a terrible eater. I would just about jump through hoops to get him to eat anything.

You might try adding a dollop of plain yogurt and see if you can entice him that way. good luck, I know how hard it can be.

labradore Guest

I suggest you try Burns pet food for dogs....
    http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/store/index.html
    Hope this helps.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

labradore, I am not sure Burns is available in the US. There are some great foods over there, however, that are as good as Burns that are not available in the UK.

labradore Guest

Trickster-hi thanks for the advice,which food is it?

We had a heck of a time getting Toby to eat. It was the bowl, he hated it. We had to dump his food on the floor to get him to eat at all!!! Well, I paid a visit to Kohls and bought a $7.99 white porcelin soup bowl, and he eats just fine now. Who would think that a lab would be so picky about his food dish!!! He drinks hi water out of the same dish that he hated his food in just fine!! ??? ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast