Sniffing and Drooling?

Thread: Sniffing and Drooling?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSniffing and Drooling?

Lately I've noticed that when Jake is out going to the bathroom or on a walk, when he stops to sniff the ground, if it's an "interesting" spot (that is, one that holds his attention and nose) the drool will just pour out of his mouth.

It looks more like saliva than drool I guess, in that it isn't vicous like regular lab-slobber, and will drip as he's walking along. He only does this outside, and only when he's sniffing something. He's not a slobbery dog when he's inside either ???

He's 10 months and not yet neutered - is this a male dog thing that has to do with where other dogs have gone to the bathroom? It's so odd looking, and I don't remember any of our other dogs doing it.

I know there is at least one un-altered female at our apartment complex (and don't worry, neither she nor Jake are ever off leash or unattended - they're going to breed her though : we're just waiting until Jake is 12 months to neuter) could that have anything to do with it?

TIA!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sniffing and Drooling?

Yep, you've got a boy He's sniffing, and probably licking, a spot where another dog has peed. Darwin adds an annoying "teeth chattering" to this.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

lol, okay - good to know he's just being one of the guys , thanks

He also does what sounds like he's smacking his lips together if it's a particularly special spot. Now that I know it's normal I can go back to laughing at him.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

theo does the same thing -- gets all excited over a certain spot, complete with the drooling, and chattering teeth.

these silly boys!
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter