Extremely restless pooch

Thread: Extremely restless pooch

Charlies Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultExtremely restless pooch

Charlie has been acting very strangely for the last 24 hours or so. He is terribly restless, can't find a comfortable spot, follows us everywhere, and wouldn't let us sleep (kept coming up on the bed and standing over us), and barely slept himself last night. It's like he's trying to tell us that something is wrong. He hasn't been vomiting and his appetite is fine, is not tender when you press on his abdomen, hasn't been having any diarrhea as far as I can tell (don't know if he's constipated), and has no other overt signs of distress. It was time to give him his Sentinel heartworm pill and place his Frontline flea stuff yesterday so I don't know if this has anything to do with him getting those medications. Any ideas? Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

whitelab is offline Member

DefaultRe: Extremely restless pooch

since you can't see any obvious signs and you have seemed to have checked out everything, I would wait 24 hrs before contacting your vet. If he acts the same way all day today and again tonight, then tomorrow I would make a phone if I were you. Its possible the medications are having a reaction but usually there are visual signs. Anyway, keep an eye on him and call the vet if it persists. Good luck
    <br />see pictures of all my babies<br />http://seehankplay.blogspot.com<br />(click on archives to see more photos)

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

detective time!
    anything new making noise in the area? [construction, one of those bug-zappers, really anything at all]
    do you live in an earthquake/tsunami/volcanic region? i've heard some animals get Very anxious 24 hours odr so before there's trouble....i hope this does NOT apply here!!!!!!!!!!
    watch for signs of limping. check his mouth, eyes, toes for foreign bodies.
    one note, if you're finally sure there's no external cause: don't attempt to 'sooth' him, reassure him, or otherwise buy into his 'there's something to worry about' mindset....your optimistic, cheerful matter-of-factness and the same old routine will be what is truly reassuring to him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Charlies Mom is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your suggestions. It might be anxiety now that you mention it. I hope we're not going to have any earthquakes anytime soon though we live on the fault but I have been a bit stressed out and he might be mirroring me. I finish medical school this week and I've been just crazy trying to get things done. I'll also keep an eye on him for other things. I'm a people doctor not a doggy doctor so this is way out of my realm!!