Anal glands removed....now gassy

Thread: Anal glands removed....now gassy

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnal glands removed....now gassy

Hi to all.....it's been awhile since I have been on here and didn't realize they moved to a new site. I had to re-register.
    Anyway, we've been through the Kentucky ice storm, my husband's surgery, and my 5 yr old male labs anal gland surgery. WEW!!!!!! it's been crazy
    Anyway, my lab now has terrible gas and is very loud at times. Mainly when he barks, he farts and it kinda scares him.
    I changed food awhile back also but my yellow lab is not having this so I don't know what to think.
    Any advice......I put them on Diamond Naturals. They were on TOTW for almost a year, but it's just too expensive. Even dogs are effected by the economy
    Thanks in advance
    Tina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tinymusic is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice, but I have to laugh at the farting when barks. That must be some sight! err sound

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I had to laugh too when you said he kind of scares himself farting.

My uncle's dog had its' anal glands removed, but did not have this problem.

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Glad to spread laughter ha ha
    The vet called back and said it must be the food. I do know that everyone said Diamond naturals was a good food. I may just try it a little longer. He'll just have to keep thinking somethings behind him
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know it's tough in this economy to be feeding a high-priced, premium dog food but Diamond Naturals is either a 2 or 3-star food (depending on which one you get) which isn't very impressive:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...p/cat/5/page/9

Also has menadione bisulfite which is an ingredient that is controversial in that a lot of people in the know says causes cancer (I believe it's synthetic Vit K). I will not buy any dog food that has that ingredient. You have to do your research & get the best food you can for the money.

ETA: Not all foods agree with all dogs either.......there could be something in DN that just doesn't agree with your dog. I'd try a small bag of something else to see if that helps.

A neighbor had her dog's anal glands removed & I haven't heard her complain about anything like gas. I do suspect the food may have something to do with it.

On the lighter side (can't tell a lot of people about this.......they would think I was a very sick person): now & again Hannah has gas but they are almost always SBD (silent but deadly). One day she was going up the stairs & let loose with a really loud fart (I happened to be coming up behind her). She stopped dead in her tracks, turned around & looked at her rear end & then at ME (like I had done it?)........I don't know why it struck me so funny but I was outside laughing hysterically hoping nobody would go by & ask me what was so funny.

I think Labs are great comedians.......this is my second Lab & both of them make me laugh......a lot.
    Last edited by HannieLuv; 03-17-2009 at 09:12 AM.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I too when you said he scares himself barking and farting. That needs to be video'd!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

You might want to ask your vet but other than the discomfort it causes you I don't think there is any health concern.

Just an update on the gassy.....I went back to TOTW and everybody's happy. No more loud noises