Discoloured Belly...help!

Thread: Discoloured Belly...help!

DefaultDiscoloured Belly...help!

Each year in the spring Zack has a problem with his skin. He is allergic to something in the environment, to what is unknown. Each spring, when the ducks and geese are in the lake, is when the problem starts.

Over the course of time his belly becomes a dark pink and in some spots (not too big of spots) you can see little black specks. My guess is that it's duck itch, but I'm not sure.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this condition before and has some advice for me.

Also, when this problem occurs (and it has every spring for 3 years, as long as he's been alive) I change the food. Each time he does get slightly better, but I'm changing his food at least twice a year. Not sure if this is good or not. I had him on Nutro (Large Breed) and mixed the Lamb, Pasta, and Duck canned food with it. The pet store recommended that I try Nutro's Chicken Mix with Oatmeal, as oatmeal is supposed to be really good for the skin.

He's never tried oatmeal before. He is shedding HUGE, which I know is in part due to the food change.

Does anyone have advice for me? Should I wait for the food to take its course? Each year he goes to the vet, same ol, same ol.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Discoloured Belly...help!

Don't know if it's the same but my Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) repeatedly got pink/red spots on her belly which turned to brown/black splotches (thin scabs).*

At KSU's CVM Tchng Hospl, she was diagnosed as having a staph infection of the skin on her belly.and Cephalexin, 21 days, was Rx'ed.

Went through that 3X, without much interveing time.

Asked to see their dermatologist and she asked more questions.* Puff runs an hour every morning offleash in a nature preserve with dew and tall grasses.* She thought the staph was caused by (A) the wet belly, and (B) the wet belly picking up pollen and detritus that would serve as an irritant.* She Rx'ed a topical medicated shampoo (Benzoyl Plus) with which to lather Puff's tummy, leave on for 10 minutes, and then flush off.

Worked well for us.

However, once the condition is under control, I find that after our 1 hr. morning walk that (A) immediately taking Puff to a clean water lake from which to do several swimming retrieves and (B) thoroughly drying her belly,* does an adequate job of flushing off the detritus and helping her skin.*

So far, no return of symptoms.*
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DefaultRe: Discoloured Belly...help!

Hank's skin is very sensitive. I have always dealt with his irritated skin (he is six now). It occurs every summer. He is an outside dog. The vet isn't sure what cause this allergic reaction but she tends to think it may be a combo of the heat, grass and misquitos. He is on flea treatment but that doesn't mean he doesn't get bit every now and then. Anyway, his belly gets the same way. mostly dark splotches. Sometimes it gets bad though, on his feet. He will break out into sores that blister. If you rule out the above condition that Bob Pr. posted, then it could just be an allergy. The vet just instructed me to be cautious during the summer months. The first sign of any skin aggravation, I am to bath him with a special oatmeal shampoo and make sure he stays clean. The vet also gave me a topical spray in case he feet start to itch. THis relieves the itch sensation. Hope you figure out whats wrong. Good luck