Skin scabs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin scabs

Pam B is offline Junior Member

DefaultSkin scabs

I bathed our lab, Luna, about 2 weeks ago. This is the first bath she has gotten from me since bringing her home in November. Close to 5 days later I noticed she was itching & recently developed scabs around her neck area & back, but are other places as well. There is no redness, but she has started biting & licking her paws now too. The vet can't tell me for sure if it's a recently developed seasonal/environmental allergy or a reaction to the shampoo/conditioner I used....which was a concentrated one called Coat Handler. I dilute it 15:1 w/water & the conditioner is a leave-in. They advised giving her benedryl for now. If she gets worse or it doesn't clear up, she may need antibiotics for a skin infection. Has anyone else dealt with this or have suggestions? I also need suggestions on a shampoo & conditioner that I could try. My vet said it will most likely be trial & error to find something that works...if that is indeed what caused the issue.

In January I had an issue with her muzzle swelling up...another allergic reaction that the vet couldn't pin point. I narrowed it down to either the Ivermax I was giving her for heartworm prevention, coconut oil I was brushing her teeth with or a spider bite. I think it unlikely that it was a spider as we have our interior & exterior sprayed in spring & fall & she has had the Ivermax the last 2 months without issue. That just leaves the coconut oil, which I discontinued using. Her muzzle has not swollen up again.

I guess I know she has some sensitivities & am just wondering how to handle the possible shampoo/conditioner issue. Thanks for reading!

Pam

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jertom is offline Senior Member

1. don't over-do a good thing.
    2. if you're going to bathe, stay with a good brand of oatmeal shampoo.
    3. coconut oil? see #1.
    4. can't believe your vet could not diagnose better, I'm dealing with a bacterial skin infection right now, vet immediately put him on antibiotics.
    good luck,

I just continued using the things I did with our cocker spaniel who had sensitive skin, yeast & allergies. I thought if they were safe for that dog, then Luna would b ok too. The coconut oil does wonders for tarter & bacteria in the mouth & lip folds. I found out I was wrong. Can you recommend a good brand of oatmeal dog shampoo? Or are you familiar with Vet's Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin? They have one for allergy relief as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
    I just continued using the things I did with our cocker spaniel who had sensitive skin, yeast & allergies. I thought if they were safe for that dog, then Luna would b ok too. The coconut oil does wonders for tarter & bacteria in the mouth & lip folds. I found out I was wrong. Can you recommend a good brand of oatmeal dog shampoo? Or are you familiar with Vet's Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin? They have one for allergy relief as well.
    I have Wahl oatmeal shampoo, that's the same company that makes clippers and shavers for people, I'm sure there's others.
    Please don't misunderstand, sometimes we do harm by trying to do good, has your Lab been diagnosed with sensitive skin, yeast and allergies like your Cocker?
    Why are you bathing her? Many say Labs shouldn't be soaped up very often, if at all! When they get muddy just hose them off and towel dry.
    Wish I was more help,

I bathed her because she was kinda stinky & her coat seemed dirty. After her bath, her coat was beautiful, shiny & silky soft. Her coat still looks nice, but when you pet her you can feel the scabs in random places on her back & neck. She doesn't seem to have any underneath, in arm pit areas or genital areas. We have not bathed her since we brought her home in November. She smelled really bad when wet, so I can't imagine not using at least shampoo to clean her.

Luna has not been diagnosed with sensitive skin, just figured I should use something for sensitive skin in the future when bathing her to be safe.

Rocky also had scabs, top of his head and one on his neck, here's from his vet visit on 3/6:
    received- a skin cytology,
    given- cephalexin 500mg (antibiotic) and pharmaseb shampoo (use three times a week)
    He's clearing up nicely now.
    maybe something here will help you when you talk to your vet.
    best,

Thank you for your help 🙂

ricky4 is offline Junior Member

Definitely stick to oatmeal shampoos, and feel free to get a second opinion from another vet!

I am taking Luna to the vet tomorrow afternoon. I had a vet tech friend of mine take a look at her scabs & she said it was a skin infection & to get her on antibiotics. I thought it was clearing up, but now she has scabs lower on her body. The benadryl is keeping her from being uncomfortable in the mean time. Thanks again :-)

Good. Let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast