Thyroid test results

Thread: Thyroid test results

imported_BucksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThyroid test results

Hello again,
    Just thought I might try for some feedback again. There must be someone who has had talked to your vet reguarding thyroid.

Yesterday my vet called with the results of Bucks Thyroid blood test. She said a normal count is 15-58 and Bucks is 18.3, so she considers this on the low side. However she wants to continue to monitor because she said the numbers are most certain to drop even more. She also wants to keep an eye on his caloric intake.

How should I approach this? He has gained weight since last year with no changes to his eating habits (2 cups Purina One lamb and rice at lunch and 2 cups in evening). This will drop when the warm weather arrives, it always does. He walks for 30 minutes twice a day and for about 1-2 hours on the weekends each day.

Here is a pic of him taken about 3 weeks ago sporting Dad's stollen sock.

Thanks for any advice on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thyroid test results

Sorry - I can't help with this. Did you post in Lab Chat also? Since you've had trouble getting responses here, you might try posting there too.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry, I don't know much about thyroid stuff either. You should definitely copy and paste this into a new thread in Lab Chat. You should see more responses there.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I don't know anything about thyroid tests. *But if you're also wondering how to reduce calories, we've had that situation over this winter; the vet wants weight off of ours.

We cut back to 1 c. in the a.m., and 1 c. in the p.m., and adding green beans (frozen, thawed) for filler. *Maybe check with your vet to make sure about g. beans? But like you said, with warm weather, and more activity, that'll help take it off. *I've taken mine swimming for the past 2 weeks, and he's already dropped weight.

<br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

imported_bearsdad is offline Senior Member

I'm not going to be much help but, we ran the test on Deacon a few months ago and got the same results - borderline. So we are monitoring and trying to take weight off by decreasing caloric intake and increasing excersise. Deacon had put on around 20 lbs (from 65 to 88) over the winter. I'm going to see if weight drops over the summer and if his activity level inceases, if not we'll re-test and see if we need meds.
    <br /><br />&quot;in moments of joy, all of us wish we possessed a tail we could wag.&quot;<br />w.h. auden<br /><br />&quot;This is worse than a divorce... I&#39;ve lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife&quot;

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I don't have any first hand experience with thyroid dogs but I have friends who have dogs with thyroid issues.**I can ask them any questions you have.

I attended a seminar where a vet was talking about the high incidence of thyroid issues in dogs.* He was an old timer who never believed it until he saw it in his own practice.* He started testing dogs that were having all sorts of issues and discovered they all had some type of thyroid problem.* I thought it was interesting.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

labby is offline Senior Member

frankly, unless its a full thyroid panel the results are worthless.

http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/docu...inDogs_000.doc

Laura

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Holy cow, Laura. Do you have that document translated into English?
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

labby is offline Senior Member

no, that's why i pay my vet the big bucks. lol

Laura