one testical ? what do i do ...

Thread: one testical ? what do i do ...

Ranger05 is offline Junior Member

Defaultone testical ? what do i do ...

Hey there - I did a google search for this particular issue and found this forum and decided to sign up to get some opinions.

This is my first lab (black lab, Ranger born Jan.18th 2016) and he still only has one testical. Ive had some people say (vet included) that I should do surgery and have had a few people say not to worry about it.

I love this dog more than anything and want to do whats best for him health wise but I got him to have trained for ducks etc. and wonder what it will do to his "drive" etc.

Is the surgery 100% necessary? Or can i wait a while etc ?

Thanks
    Donnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I believe the current recommendation is to remove at least the one retained by 2 yrs old at the most. The big worry is cancer.

Just curious, but is the one down on the left or the right? It is said the left drops first. Sometimes the cord to the right gets hung up. I personally wonder if this is a genetic thing or not in that case, but regardless, it's best to remove the one that is being kept (way) too warm at least and I'd not be thinking about breeding from him.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Ranger05 is offline Junior Member

truthfully i don't know that I've really paid attention to which one is down - ill have to check ..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mauricio is offline Senior Member

were you planning on neutering? if not, did the breeder tell you there was a retained testicle?
    and the thought is, as far as i know, and eli, my frenchie also had a retained teste but when he was 18 months old, and i had him neutered they found it and removed it along with the one hanging. the thought is, cancer if it is retained. i once adopted a 21/2 year old lab that was tied up for that time, and he only had one teste but i had him neutered immediately and they found what they thought was testicular tissue but it had to be tested because it was so deformed and unrecognizable. he was fine after that. happy to be released from the chain.

nicole is offline Senior Member

You definitely want to at least remove the retained testicle. Whether you do that or completely neuter, it won't effect his drive/desire in the field in the least.