Allergies, Nutro zd failure

Thread: Allergies, Nutro zd failure

DefaultAllergies, Nutro zd failure

We were doing good on home cooked Venison and potatos, so the doc tried to put her on venison and potoato IVD. She started scratching to death after two meals. OK, all is not lost...after a few days of recovery on homecooked again, the doc tried Nutro ZD, the stuff with all the allergins removed...well at least this time is was more like 4 days before we just could not take the itching anymore. With the Nutro I was just feeding it to her once a day for dinner, so It was still only about four meals worth of kibble.

I think both my husband and myself have come to the realization that we all are going to be doing better if we just cook her food from scratch. I might even be able to develop my own kiddle. I created a cookie, why not kibble.

I am just having a hard time wraping my mind around the fact that we have the most allergic lab in the United States. Of course we might not have, so I am very grateful to this board for letting me know that we are not the only ones going through this.

Morgan and Lya
    with Friend Rocco

Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Allergies, Nutro zd failure

Have you actually had your lab allergy tested? If not, you should. Find out what she's allergic to. It will save you some head ache down the line.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Yep, we did the whole skin enviromental test and have a long list of items to which we know she is allergic. If need be, we can put her on shots, but the doc was trying to get the food element under control first. Since she did so very well on home cooked food and saw a dramatic decline on both the IVD and the Nurto ZD in just a short amount of time, to me that says that there is someting in that food that is wrong for her.

Without any shots or meds just me home cooking, her scratching was only a 2 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being horrible). And this is with her playing in the grassy park everyday. We know she is allergic to grass, we just do not know how much. Our "normal" Rhodesian, Rocco, is a 1+ on the itch scale, so I use him as a measure.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

But you don't know what foods she's allergic to.

Have you tried any of the Innova kibble that have like only 7 ingrediants in it...and there are no grains?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

I have some. Some of the IVO suggested. I guess I thought that I might should let the doc give it his best go, but I think that he might be at then end of his Veterinarian prescribed options. At this rate, I am not sure what I would have to loose. I will give her a day of two to settle back down to a 2 on the itch o'meter and then give it a try

What is IVO? I was more specifically referring to EVO made by innova.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...9;1246'%5D
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Oops, yes I meant EVO. The other stuff is the limited ingrediant diet that was the doc's first choice attempt. I do have a small bag of EVO I could try and will do in a couple of days after she slows on the itching.

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco