What causes bloat?

Thread: What causes bloat?

c17wife is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat causes bloat?

I've looked online and tried to come up with what could have caused him to get bloat. (Marley) Granted he was severely underweight and he had been under stress but those were really the only two things on the list that he had. Off of the symptoms list he had practially all of them. Secretly when I saw him hobbling around the yard I suspected bloat down deep in my heart but I didn't have a clue how to handle it. I secretly prayed that I could look at the contacts on my cell phone and Laura's name would appear on there since I couldn't get ahold of anyone else from the rescue. I just have a really hard time believing that after everything that poor animal had gone thru so far that God would let the poor thing get bloat and die. I know that if it's his time to go then it's his time to go......I guess I'm past the denial phase and moving into the pi$$ed phase. Can someone please explain bloat to me in laymans terms? Between the whole Marley thing and then being at the hospital all day with my 12 yr old....they've diagnosed her with walking pneumonia....my brain is mush. Someone please tell me what it is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What causes bloat?

I'm not sure it's exactly known. There are certain risk factors (like breed, types of food, and others) that cause an increase of air in the stomach, and whenever it rotates over, it gets trapped.

I've never had a dog bloat, so maybe those with greater experiences with Labs and bloat can chime in.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I think it's similar to gas colic in horses (you might find better diagrams/explanations looking at that). The digestive system traps air and then turns upon itself, with usually very bad results for the animal.

I am so sorry about what happened with Marley - but since he was already so uncomfortable when you saw him, and so weak to begin with, chances are he wouldn't have withstood the surgery to correct bloat very well or at all anyway. You did what you could, and he knew he was loved and cared for in his final days.

You (and your daughter) are in our prayers.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Walking pneumonia is the accumulation of mucous in the lungs, and could be due to a variety of factors. In many cases it is caused by various bacteria (pneumococcus). It may be that if Marley was in poor health, this type of infection is opportunistic, meaning that her immune system is already being "used" to fight off one infection or problem, so it is easy to infect causing another problem. I am unsure of what kind of bloat you are referring to. I know that bloating in human can be caused by a variety of things, such as inadequate absorption of electrolytes through the intestines.

So sorry, and you are in our thoughts!

debjen is offline Senior Member

Here is a pretty good page on bloat.. http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm ..there are actually two different types of "bloat"..one is where the stomach fills up with gas that can't release itself and the other is gastric torsion where the stomach actually flips and twists off so nothing can actually get up or down from the stomach and then the they fill with gas....both are emergencies and even if you get the dog to the vet quickly there is no guarantee that they will survive the surgery/treatment..it doesn't take long before the tissue starts to become necrotic because the blood supply is cut off and there isn't much they can do. When Riley bloated (twice)..both times I had him to the vet and in surgery in about an hour..both times the vet told me even with surgery he might not survive..we were lucky..also you'll find the more you read about bloat the more confused you will get..there is alot of contradictory information out there..basically I think they really don't know what causes it as they certainly can't tell you how to prevent it...most often you'll read that somehow food and exercise were a culprit..however I don't believe food was factor in either of Riley's bloat..one may have had to do with exercise but it was on an empty stomach..I'll never know for sure.

when i adopted my lab the rescue woman told me not to take him out for a walk right after he eats. She told me to wait at least 45 minutes to 1 hr. She said large breed dogs when they walk their stomache tends to move side to side and the stomach moves around which traps the air and causes the bloat and that it could be lethal. I had never knew this before and was very thankful that she had let me know this. I normally thought that after a meal a walk was a good idea.