licking/chewing issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: licking/chewing issues

Defaultlicking/chewing issues

The other day my husband commented that Allie licks herself quite a bit and when I thought about it she really does. When she comes in from doing her thing outside she will lick herself but it seems that she licks herself in that area more and more frequently...any idea why? I haven't noticed any leaking or other issues.

She also has a habit of licking and biting at her feet. She doesn't have any sores on them and they don't look irriated to me...any ideas what this is about? I will wake up in the middle of then night and hear her licking away at her feet...this happens all the time!

Neither of things concern me to much...just wondering if there might be anything that I should be watching for. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: licking/chewing issues

The foot licking thing could be allergies to food or environment, it could also just be a behavioural thing. The other licking could be a urinary tract infection..have you notice her needing to pee more? You might want to run a urine sample to the vet for testing if it continues.

I haven't noticed her peeing anymore or any leaking so I don't think it is a urinary tact infection but i will be sure and watch that.

I think you might be right and it could be a behavioral thing...she is a big licker, she always wants to lick our hands or feet or whatever she can lick. As long as she isn't hurting herself I guess it is ok...would you agree?

She is on Purina One right now and she is doing well on it...nice coat, no issues that I have noticed

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Licking can be a sign of vaginitis. *

As bearsdad said paw licking can be a sign of allergies -- both environmental and food (but food allergies are really not that common). *Did the paw licking just start in the spring?

She has been licking her paws for quite awhile...I haven't noticed a difference with that, she just always licks them. She will lay on the floor and lick her paws, front and back, licking away.

It seems like she is licking herself more so maybe vaginitis is a possibility...maybe I will watch it this week and then tak her to the vet. Besides having to pee more any other signs that I could look for?

I have an appt scheduled with my vet for Thursday so we can figure out what the problem is...I would like to avoid a big accident in her crate...then i will regret waiting to see if it would "just clear up".

Thanks for the input! It is truly appreciated

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Vaginitis will not result in any accidents. Sami had it and it wasn't even treated w/ antibiotics (thought I do remember someone on the old board saying their vet treated it with antibiotics). I was given some medicated wipes to use on her after she urinated. And my vet told me that it will usually clear up after they are spayed, too.

My lab does the same thing. He licks his front legs ALL the time. Even in the middle of the night sometimes he be doing it. Do you think its a LAB thing? I know on another board someones lab did it too. I've only had him since January so I thought it was a behavior he did because he was penned up for 5 months with no activity in his life. You know out of boredom or something. Someone thought maybe its itchy skin. That would make sense too. Oh, he's doing it Right now. Ugh. He's on Nutro complete balance Lamb/Rice for large breeds w/Glucosamine. Maybe fish oil in food will help.

Good to know that vaginitis will not result in accidents.* The vet will be able to determine what the problem is and then we can treat it.* I am also going to ask him about the foot licking, I have a feeling it is behavioral with maybe a slight increase now due to environmental allergies.* She has always been a licker so licking her own feet isn't* a real suprise to me. I checked them this morning, no sores or red areas so that was good.

My daughter's lab started licking his feet and his feet looked fine, but when she really spread his toes out and looked closely, she could see some irritation. She called the vet, and they told her to put some antibiotic ointment on it and see if that did the trick. They think he may have walked in some fertilized grass-it's spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast