4 year old former apartment dweller won't pee in new backyard

Thread: 4 year old former apartment dweller won't pee in new backyard

Littlejeans is offline Junior Member

Default4 year old former apartment dweller won't pee in new backyard

Hi All, Don't know if this belongs in "health" or "training"....
    Grover is almost four year old Labrador and up until 2 week ago he was pottied on leash in the city (or when we were out on our daily hikes in nature). When we first moved to our house with a private, fenced backyard 2 weeks ago, he pooped and peed regularly and seemed to understand the concept of pottying in the backyard. He has always been praised and treated after pottying. I pick up after him immediately because if I miss a poop or wait to long I notice he will try to "bury" it with his nose.
    In the last few days he has not peed in the yard. Yesterday we went on a hike so he emptied himself in nature but he has gone 24 hours now without peeing because I have been waiting him out. I know if I took him for a leashed walk in the neighborhood he would mark alot and pee. He understands what "out" means and when he had a little diarrhea 2 nights ago he wined at the back door so I know he knows how to tell me he has to go. We've gone out to the backyard 4 times today for 30 minutes a stretch (with me alternating between being boring and saying his cue word "go sniff". He does go sniff but no peeing. Is it possible he sees the backyard as an extension of the house and doesn't want to soil it? How am I going to show him it's okay if I'm already praising and treating him? It seems cruel to wait him out like this but I want him to know that he needs to potty in the backyard. Should I keep waiting him out? 24 hours is a long time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SophiaL is offline Junior Member

i ve had good luck with a doggie door..it ll be easy to train him if they already know their potty command..this way they ll go when they have too..rather than you having to let them out regularly..early on..i d follow them out to pick up after them..but, now i know where the guys go and i ll directly to their potty areas..it seem each has their own favorite place..