how do you keep the food???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you keep the food???

hunter34ray is offline Member

Defaulthow do you keep the food???

hey guys, what do u really mean by "stale" food and how do you keep ur dog food to avoid dirt, moisture, insects,etc...????

thnx guys, God bless

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how do you keep the food???

Some people freeze large portions of their food, buy airtight containers, only buy smaller amounts of food etc.
    ~Lindsay

LarrytheLab is offline Senior Member

We buy the 40 lb bags of food to save money, and keep the bag inside a trash can (with a lid). *Since we only have one dog eating from such a big bag, we also usually take about half of the 20 lb bag and put it in big ziploc bags to keep it fresh longer. *It's kind of a pain to store, but it stays fresh longer and saves us money and another trip to PetSmart. *
    Doyle and Larry<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mommy2Layla is offline Member

We just use a HUGE rubbermaid container to keep the food in. It doesn't seem to get too stale for Layla; although she also eats her food in under 5 seconds
    <br /><br /><br />

hunter34ray is offline Member

thnx guys for the help.. ;D

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We just keep ours in the sacks but wrap the top down after every meal time. Never had a problem with stale food.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I store the large bags in a trashcan w/ a lid in our basement. *I keep the food in the bag and fold the bag up really tightly and use several clips to seal it. *

I also keep 7 - 10 days of food in a large rubbermaid container in my kitchen. *That way I'm not having to open the large bag of dogfood more than 4 or 5 times before it's all used up. *Basically I'm trying to minimize the amount of air that gets to it.

Should you decide to use a container to store your dog's food in, make sure that it's food safe.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

That's an easy one. Just get 6 more dogs. You will NEVER have stale food again. LOLOL On the serious side, I do keep my food in a vittles vault. It's airtight and keeps the food in good condition.

tobysmom is offline Senior Member

We buy food by the 40 pound bag for Toby and we use one of those big popcorn tins to store some of the food and roll the bag to keep the rest fresh. We haven't had a problem with it that way yet. we are more than 1/2 way through the bag and he eats it just fine.
    Angela<br /><br /><br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Whether it's "good" or not all depends on your household needs AND your Lab.

My Puff began rejecting food from a 40 lb. bag about halfway through its being opened.

When I discovered this was a prolem for my Puff's appetite. I thried a number of paritally succesful measuers.

Since Puff eats only 1¼ cups 2X/day (daily total about = .65 lbs.) a 40 lb. bag lasts us about 61 days.

I tried "decanting" the kibble into 3 plastic garbage bags, twisting the tops tight, and sealing them into 3 large RubberMaid containers with snap lids. I suppose each one held about 13 lbs. *That way I could pop off a lid, scoop out what was needed with a measuring cup, snap the lid back on and serve Puff her supper,

Ahh, but my gourmet Lab was not pleased.

It worked okay maybe through the first container but by the time we were halfway through the second, she often walked away from a meal and just picked at it intermittently.

That's when I came to my present method of immediately sealing the contents of the 40 lb. bag as soon as it's opened *into 10-11 *ziplock freezer bags.

With this method, Puff often gives her compliments to the chef.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast