3 month male with night diarrhea.

Thread: 3 month male with night diarrhea.

Harper&Boone is offline Junior Member

Default3 month male with night diarrhea.

Hi! my 3 month male named Boone has had night diarrhea since we got him at 8 weeks. weve been to the vet over and over. hes tested negative for parvo twice.
    hes been on antibiotics twice.
    when he is on the antibiotics he doesn't have night diarrhea, but as soon we take him off the diarrhea comes back. were just at a loss... between our two kids, jobs, and waking up two to three times a night to clean up dog diarrhea...were exhausted!!!!

has anyone gone through this???

also we were told we needed to change his food. she recommended science diet, but we don't like the brand...
    hes eating taste of the wild. and he STINKS!!! no baths or anything will get rid of the stink. my husband has said multiple times that it smells like kitty litter ?? we have no cats and no litter boxes anywhere near us hahaha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

First off, what was he eating at the breeders and if it wasn't Taste of the Wild, put him back on whatever it was. I raise all my puppies on Pro Plan Puppy.

Second, sometimes pups get an over-abundance of bacteria in their gut and it just won't clear up. Antibiotics kill bad and good bacteria. Put the dog on probiotics like you can get a tube of paste off Amazon called Bene-bact. If you have horse stores around you, you can look for a product called Probios, and you can get a tube and you'll want a pea or lima bean size of the stuff. Just wipe the paste in their mouth.

Did the vet give you metronidazole? That's probably what's helping. But we have a pup that had similar problems, we ended up giving them tylan and it finally cleared up. Another medicine you can buy online at Amazon and give yourself.

Harper&Boone is offline Junior Member

The family we bought him from just had him on cheap kibble. we weaned him off the food he was eating because we wanted him to eat good food.

yes hes on flagyl (metronidazole). has been for 3 weeks, but he has had the diarrhea since we got him.
    we don't want to change his food again because it would be the 3rd time hes had to change food.
    nutrisouce is what we gave him when we got him
    science diet is what the vet suggested but we did a little more reading after giving it too him and decided against,
    and then taste of the wild....

poor guy will never get rid of his diarrhea if we keep changing foods.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Food aside for a moment, you didn't comment at all about the suggestion of adding probiotics.

Then one more question, how much are you feeding? Too much can cause the runs too.

SophiaL is offline Junior Member

we thru this with mine as well..Kona developed diarrhea after taking his heartworm medication..vet said it more likely something he ate rather than the medication and prescribed a canine version of kaopectate ..gave it to him each time he had a loose poop..worked out overnight..i would expect that a antibiotic worked cuz it killed off the good bacteria in the intestinal tract as well..since kona bout with diarrhea..i ve been giving him a pro biotic and since, all is well..