Nuetring question

Thread: Nuetring question

Jerry_P is offline Junior Member

DefaultNuetring question

I've got a 4 month old English lab. I am debating on whether or not to neuter him around the suggested 6-8 month age range. He spends his days in an acre size fenced yard and nights in the home so reproduction concerns are slight. My main concerns are behavioral, physical, and aesthetic. On the behavioral end I've read mostly positive results come from neutering (more calm / better around strangers). On the physical side I've read that the 6-8 month range is safe for physical development. The aesthetic side leaves me without a lot of information. One of the main reasons I chose an English lab is because of the behavior and the look (boxy head and strong build). I know that neutering decreases the masculine appearance of a dog and I worry that if he gets the procedure at this stage he will not fully develop the traits if an English that I like (and paid for). What are your opinions? I'll also add that I have a 3 year old son and a baby on the way and the pup has shown no aggressive nature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Wait until 18 months. I am surprised your breeder didn't tell you about this. Labs are great dogs, that's why you chose one. If you raise the pup right, you won't have to worry about your children and his testicles. There are plenty of breeders with intact boys and kids. Labs are great companions.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

I would wait. Neutering early isn't going to change his temperament.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

You have a Labrador. Most likely NOT an "English" one but a show type (sorry but this annoys the hell out of me that show type labs are all suddenly 'English" !). I'd wait until growth plate closure regardless.... best of luck.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

lubdubdub is offline Junior Member

Would definitely wait when the pup is more developed since full maturity is typically somewhere between 18 and 24 months. There is a possibility of shortening his development when he's too young and its hard to say that neutering will fix his behavior when he's not even done with puberty