Performatrin and weight gain?

Thread: Performatrin and weight gain?

Brett is offline Junior Member

DefaultPerformatrin and weight gain?

I am from Canada and we have a brand of dog food called Performatrin. I am not sure if it is popular or available in the states as I think this is an American forum. I am wondering if anyone is feeding their dog this and whether they have gained a lot of weight? My dog is otherwise healthy but is chunking up lol and I am feeding him the recommended amount.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Don't know the food, but you can look on the label and it will give you protein/fat percentages. Sometimes they'll list kcals as well. You need to know what those are. Also, as a general rule of thumb, you can't feed what's on the side of the bag. For almost all brands I know, they tend to lean towards you feeding too much.

If the protein is 26% and the fat 16%, a normal pet with normal activity probably shouldn't be eating more than 2-3 cups a day. A super busy dog can eat 4-6 cups a day. An active hunting dog, maybe even more.

Nothing wrong with cutting the food back. But if for some reason you are already feeding a low amount, like 1 cup a meal, 2 meals a day. ... You may want to take the dog to the vet for a full thyroid check up. Labs notoriously have thyroid issues which getting heavy is a symptom of.

Brett is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I will give him a few weeks at the reduced amount to see if he loses any weight and I am due to bring him to the vet at the end of April for his kennel shot so I will have him checked!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

i used to feed performatrin. it's a pet valu brand so those who shop there may have heard of it. There are Pet Valu's in the US but not quite as common as in Canada I don't think (at least in Ontario).

for the weight gain, the food may just have more calories than what you feed before, assuming you have not changed anything in the exercise schedule. Like you are doing, feed a bit less and see.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

The recommended amount is often too much for some dogs. And some don't do as much in winter so need less food due to reduced activity. What were the protein/fat/kccal/cup numbers on your old food as compared to the Performatrim? If the new food is higher in kcal/cup then you probably need to feed less of it. And maybe less again for winter. I feed Performatrim to my cats. The cat brand of course.