Lab hotspots from swimming

Thread: Lab hotspots from swimming

Brett is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab hotspots from swimming

My 4 year old lab only gets hotspots when he swims. No swimming and he is fine but that is a bummer for a lab. This happens in ANY body of water and the vet seems to think it is due to a combination of the bacteria in the water and humidity getting caught between fur and skin. He has been tested for allergies and does not have any and he is on a high quality food. The latest thing we are trying is Dr. Maggie's skin and coat supplement that goes with his food. I have also been reading about how a lab has a double coat that if functioning properly, should wick away moisture from the skin. Summer is coming soon so we are hopeful but I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and any success with supplements?

PS...I am not looking for treatment of hotspots, we have that down pat lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

traceyfd is offline Junior Member

I know this is an old thread but my lab has a thick coat and I swim h8m a lot due to elbow dysphasia.in an Aussie summer the humidity is bad on the coast and he will get hot spots. I make sure I dry him as much as I can or he will stay damp overnight. Blow dry along his back if I have to. I feel he gets one, I clip the hair on the spot and use a foot tinea spray or even a powder. He gets a fungal infection and it doesn’t turn bacterial because I swim h8m in salt water. I then use Potties green ointment to encourage the hairto grow back. I used to use that on my horses