ON HEAT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ON HEAT

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultON HEAT

Hi can anybody give me some advice on when I can expect my lab saska to* have her first season. She is eight months old next week, and seems to be very restless at the moment. not sure if this is a sign or not. THe vet has advised us to let her have her first season before we have her spayed. Also what are the signs to look for, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reagars

SASKAS MOM

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paula is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ON HEAT

Others may not agree, but I rather have them spayed before they come in heat. That's what my vet recommends, he spays and neuters at 6 months.

Tagen is offline Senior Member

Females can go into their first heat anywher from 6-18 months. If you know when her mother first went into heat it will give you a good idea of when your lil' gal will.

That's what my vet recommends, he spays and neuters at 6 months.
    Most vets suggest such an early age because of the pet overpopulation problem. They are trying to prevent accidental litters. I think this is a good course of action since you can never tell who will be responsible and who won't. But studies show that waiting to alter your pet for at least a year can have many benefits, more so than at or before 6 months. As long as the owner is diligent enough to ensure no mating takes place prior to the procedure, I would encourage that person to do what they feel is best for his or her own pet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm also waiting until after the first heat. Regarding the signs -- from what I understand the vulva becomes pretty enlarged prior to heat and your girl may clean herself more often both before and during the heat.

Hope that helps.

RachelandCadbury is offline Junior Member

Cadbury just went into heat for the first time, (she's almost 10 months) she was a total weirdo for the week before hand, just restless and whiny. then all of a sudden she wouldn't leave my side, being even more of a suck than usual, and the next day we noticed the bleeding...then she started hiding under the bed. I think she's embaressed about the diapers!!! Which by the way, I highly recommend if you don't want spots of blood EVERYWHERE! Good luck

Rachel and Cadbury

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Thanks very much for all of your advice, it seem really strange that all Vets
    recommend different things.
    Will keep my eyes peeled for the signs. Who know what the best thing to do is
    I really wish they were all consistent.

Regards

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

it seem really strange that all Vets recommend different things.
    Part of the reason being given to spay females before their first heat are the studies saying it prevents mammary cancer and there are no ill affects. It is also the politically correct advice to keep unwanted litters down. There have been very few studies done to bring out the adverse affects from early spay and neuter, but it has been shown that the dogs grow taller and lose angulation in the rear. My Reproduction Vet teaches a few classes and says she always gives her opinion to the students to wait until a year to spay neuter because the hormones should be there for a reason. There have been some statistics that a female is much more prone to developing urinary incontinence from an early spay than mammary cancer later for waiting. The majority of vets out there still want to spay neuter at an earlier age.

labradore Guest

Signs that your dog is in heat include include vaginal discharge which is clear, bleeding and swelling of the vulva. There is increased restlessness and there may be increased urination. You also may notice stray dogs hanging around your house, though the female will not accept mating at this point. This early period of heat called Proestrus, lasts between 4 -15 days depending on the size and breed of the dog along with other factors.

The next stage in the estrous cycle is the actual Estrus/heat where the dog will accept a mate and can get pregnant. Unless you are a professional dog breeder you should spay the dog before before her first heat. Some vets will spay a dog during its first heat. This Estrus lasts between 4 - 8 days and signs include the discharge stopping, ovulation (the eggs are released) and pregnancy is possible. If the dog becomes pregnant the gestation time is 58-63 days. There are no visible signs until the last 3 weeks of pregnancy when the teats will enlarge, the belly will swell and finally the birth will occur.

The 3rd stage of the cycle is called Diestrus and lasts 6 - 10 weeks. Many hormonal changes take place and the uterine walls thicken. Dogs that haven't become pregnant go through 'false pregnancy' where their mammary glands may enlarge and produce milk. They may mother toys, moan or whine, prefer extra attention or extra solitude and will show no interest in mating. The last stage in the cycle is Anestrus and will last for 15 weeks. There won't be any hormonal activity, milk production, or interest in mating. If the dog had become pregnant the birth would have already occurred and the mother will be lactating and engaging in typical mothering behaviour until she is ready to wean her puppies

Hope this helps.
    I used to breed labradors and i'm a vet so i hope the pups are lovely and healthy.

RachelandCadbury is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: ON HEAT-LABRADORE or any breeders/vets I have a question :)

CAn you spay a dog in the third phase of the heat cycle -Diestrus?

I'm positive Cadbury is in that now, she bled for nearly two weeks, then we kept her under lock and key for almost two weeks while our neutered dog tried to go at her...now she's whiny, attention seeking and her teats are swollen and so is the vulva still. I am quite certain that there is NO WAY she could be pregnant, she is booked for spaying on Tuesday.....is it safe to spay her at this point? She hasn't mothered any toys,just been a little more attention seeking than usual.....any reponse to this would be great because she's booked for Tuesday!!!!!

Rachel and Cadbury

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: ON HEAT-LABRADORE or any breeders/vets I have a question :)

Quote Originally Posted by RachelandCadbury
    CAn you spay a dog in the third phase of the heat cycle -Diestrus?

I'm positive Cadbury is in that now, she bled* for nearly two weeks, then we kept her under lock and key for almost two weeks while our neutered dog tried to go at her...now she's whiny, attention seeking and her teats are swollen and so is the vulva still. I am quite certain that there is NO WAY she could be pregnant, she is booked for spaying on Tuesday.....is it safe to spay her at this point? She hasn't mothered any toys,just been a little more attention seeking than usual.....any reponse to this would be great because she's booked for Tuesday!!!!!

Rachel and Cadbury
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I have read of dogs being spayed while they are in heat ... BUT it is safer to wait 8 - 12 weeks afterwards. During heat the uterine tissue can be swollen, blood vessels are more fragile, and I believe that there is a tendency towards increased blood loss during surgery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast