mom's lab is going to the vet...

Thread: mom's lab is going to the vet...

Defaultmom's lab is going to the vet...

My mom's lab is going to the vet today. This morning my dad noticed a lump on Lumbee's throat. It's swollen and open a little.A little bit of liquid stuff was coming out too. He said the odor stinks too. Lumbee is 13 years old, so I hope it's nothing serious, but you never know. I'll keep you updated!

Lumbee

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: mom's lab is going to the vet...

I hope everything will be fine.

Paula is offline Senior Member

Sounds like it may be an abcess, hopefully that's all it is and can be treated. Let us know what the vet says.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So I went to the vet today with my mom. It seems to be an abcess. I'm guessing Bosco or Ava (my mom's other puppy/Jack russell) bit him or scratched him there...who knows. Poor Lumbee, he was crying, it was painful for him. I've never seen him acted like that. Now we just have to wait and see how it heals.*

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hope it heals well and everything is fine. That must have been scary for you.

Not so much scary, just odd. It's weird seeing your dog in pain and you can't do anything to help him. My mom* had tears in her eyes, she couldn't handle it. It's just so hard to see your dog get old. Lumbee hardly ever went to the vet until this year. He's almost 14 years old. His hips are getting worse because of the arthritis. He might have to go on the medication, but first we have to find if he has a liver disease, because if he does, the medication will basically shorten his life. I think the hardest part for me is, well first of all I grew up with him. I was 7 years old when my parents got him. I don't remember too much of him as a puppy. But seeing him now, you know, having a hard time going up and down stairs. We can't even bring him to the river, which is his all time favorite place to go...it's sad. But that's one part of life we all go through is aging.

Anywho, i'm blabering now...lol
    Today seems to be a good day for him.
    He's on antibiotics and other medication right now.
    He doesn't wanna do to much, which is fine.
    The abcess is looking better than yesterday.
    Anywho thanks for your concern!

New pic of Lumbee (april 23,06)

Paula is offline Senior Member

Glad to here it wasn't anything more serious. The antibiotics should help clear the abcess up. It's hard to watch them age.