Dream or seizure?

Thread: Dream or seizure?

jessiesmama is offline Junior Member

DefaultDream or seizure?

Two nights a go my 5 month old lab was in her crate fast asleep when all of a sudden i heard this thrashing sound i went to the crate and saw her twitching, iwent to the frnt flipped on the light and when i touched the latched she opened her eyes she was a bit dazed for 30 secs. there was no eye rolling that i could see, no foaming, no noise. She just did it again 1 hour ago same thing twitching but as soon as i touched the latch she openen her eyes. Now i can't go to sleep i chalked the first one up to being a dream but now i am concerned. What does it look like when Dogs are having a in famous chasing dream? Could this be a seizure without any other symptoms? I am gonna make an appt with the vet first thing in the Am unless someone can confirm that this is what it would look like if she was having a dream. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jessiesmama is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Dream or seizure?

Well I came upon this so like i stated she awoke right away i will still call my dr. in the am

The biggest difference between seizures and non-seizures is the dog's state of consciousness. If a dog is doing something that resembles a seizure while conscious, is aware of its surroundings, or is easily aroused (as in sleep), it is not having a true seizure.

nanabearski is offline Senior Member

I dont know much about seizures, but Bear has dreams many times and I usually get a pretty idea as many times, she sort of barks, other just moves and makes unrecognizable noises; some times she also sort of cries (not as often), so I just touch her and let her know I'm around and she gets back to sleep. I'd say give it time, is taht doesnt happen when she is wide awake, I wouldnt worry...

Adriana
    Adriana owned by Bear &amp; Bunny<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mommy2Layla is offline Member

Layla thrashes around when she sleeps too; I had thought it was the same thing as you. One day she shook so hard she moved across the floor ;D. She was just having a crazy dream, she woke up 30 mins later and was fine.
    <br /><br /><br />

roccolya is offline Senior Member

My Lya sleeps with me and often acts as if she might be dreaming, which I pray she is. Once is a while she will even "wag" her tail which results in a thumping drumlike activity in the middle of the night. She turned two in October and has been doing this since we adopted her. She had just turned one when we got her.

Morgan with Lya
    and Freind Rocco
    Michgian

Sedonarona is offline Member

Yeah, Sedona does this, and I laughed when I read "unrecognizable sounds"...Sedona sometimes makes a clicking noise with her tongue or throat and her eyes are half open and she twitches a bunch during dreams. I was worried too because it looks so eerie, but she wakes up and is fine.

ElvisMommy is offline Junior Member

They're so "cute when they're sleeping" aren't they?* ;D

Elvis will have some serious down n' dirty dreams.* We call them his "chasing cats" dreams.* He'll be on his side with all fours giving it hell, then he gets this muffled growl and bark and his whole body goes into motion.* Would love to have a camera in that brain to catch the action!* * And some say dogs don't have souls... must never have had a lab!*