????dogs and cats in animal food???

Thread: ????dogs and cats in animal food???

Default????dogs and cats in animal food???

So some folks might remember that my Lab Lya has troubles with allergies and we have been working on food options. While looking at some pages pertaining to homecooked food etc, I read that some advocated believe (with documentation, they say) that lower quality food companies use tenderized euthanized domestic animals in dog and cat food.

First, does anyone here believe or disbelieve if this is true at all, and then would they not have to list something like that on the ingredients? Or would they just put "animal fat" or "animal protein"?

Considering Mad Cow Disease, I cannot imagine that this is a good practice should it happen.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco
    Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ????dogs and cats in animal food???

There are a lot of really outrageous claims made by certain people, and notice how few of them have any references to back them up. What started the rumor was that the FDA found trace amounts of phenylbarbital in some dog foods (not enough to cause any harm). Only the foods containing beef had these trace amounts, and it was determined that the cattle that were put down for slaughter using this drug were the source, not euthanized cats and dogs.

The other part of the rumor started from the fact that cats and dogs are rendered at certain plants, but none of those plants supply any type of product to the major pet food manufacturers.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lower quality foods like 'Ol Roy use questionable meats, but I highly doubt that includes pets.

If you're concerned about Mad Cow, don't feed your dog a beef containing food, but if you're that concerned then I wouldn't eat beef either...it can happen to our food chain too.

DefaultRe: ????dogs and cats in animal food???

Oh, I was just using the Mad Cow Disease as an example of a practice that was too very smart, healthwise.

I was born and raise in Rural Iowa at a time when giving cattle anything but grasses and grains was just not heard of or just plain sick! I never saw a cow willing eat other mamal flesh.

Sometimes one should not tinker with mother nature too very much.

Morgan with Lya
    and Friend Rocco

Michigan