Licking his leg

Thread: Licking his leg

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultLicking his leg

Starting several months ago, Trapper would sometimes chew a small (nickel-size) spot on his lower R front leg. He never chewed down to the skin and there is/was never an open sore, just this small patch of shorter hair. He was licking it again tonight.

What could cause him to do this, and what can we do to help him stop? Boredom (at least tonight) is not a factor.

TIA, Dot
    Dot in Northern Illinois

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Licking his leg

I am glad that link was posted. My moms dog does that and has for some time. He goes through his cycles and when it gets real bad, the skin becomes inflamed and sore and his skin gets real swollen. But does anyone know what sort of ointment or deterent that can be on the foot? We now use the plug in to calm his separation anxiety so I think that will help stop the licking but I would like to use something to relieve the itchiness from the irritated area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It could be allergies too foot chewing is a sign of allergies.

my lab licks his front legs all the time too. it really gets to me to watch him do this alot. on another dog board someone mentioned giving fish oil capsules or just adding fish oil to the food and said her lab stopped after she did it. its supposed to really help with dry itchy skin. i'm going to try the fish oil as soon as i can remember to pick it up when i'm in the store. ugh!!! sometimes my memory is in the toilet!!!

My youngest, Cissy, does that ... not so bad now that I have her, but when I got her from the shelter, she had pretty much NO hair on her front legs ... I finally got hair back on her, put her in the vet to get spayed and went out of town for a few days; came back and she had done it again. Now she only has one tiny spot that she will lick at if she gets bored (which is seldom since she stays pretty busy with her siblings). We put panalog on it (from the vet) or you can use neosporin.
    Cissy had a rough start in life, demodex, lick granulomas, pneumonia; and she is OCD with balls .... best thing you can do is exercise them and keep them busy. If you do wrap the leg at all; be sure to take the wrap off when you are not at home as they will eat that, too and you don't want an obstruction of any type.

Henry has OCD on the licking, he gets his muttluck on and a cone for a while to let it heal....you know what, it might be allergies now that someone mentions it....because he only ever does this in the spring and in the fall...hmmmmmmm.......any opinions about what to do with a dog that may have hayfever!?!?!

Rachel

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

I'm using people's Benedryl for my dog's seasonal allergies. It seems to be working so far. Recommended dose is 1 capsul per 25 lbs. of dog, but I start at a lower dosage and work my way to a higher dosage only if necessary.