Somebody has the sweetest 6mo black lab at my daughters game last night. While I was there I seen them give him about 3 or 4 apples and let him eat the core and all. Isn't that toxic to him?
Peach and especially apricot pits are definitely toxic and never should be accessible.
I've not heard of any problems with apple cores or seeds.
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
Apple seeds are toxic to dogs. I would avoid giving them.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
i've been told that they are toxic, but only dangerous in large quantities. peace of mind can be worth a lot so you could take off the stem and shake out the seeds.
"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford
Apple seeds are not healthy for dogs.
If they eat several cups (I've yet to see an apple core with that many seeds) AND the seeds were chewed up, they'd be toxic. Plants evolved nice fruits around their seeds so animals would eat them, what good does it do if the seeds are digestible? In reality, they're not and they're pooped out miles away from the plant in a nice pile of fertilizer.
The concern is that seeds like apples, peaches, apricots, etc. contain a sugar compound call amygdalin. When one of the carbon bonds is broken down by bacteria in the intestines, cyanide is released. So if the seeds are crushed, and a significant amount are ingested, the dog could die of cyanide poisoning.
I wouldn't like to give that many apples, though...especially if they do it often.