Is this normal?

Thread: Is this normal?

browneyedgirl is offline Member

DefaultIs this normal?

I take lucky to the dogpark an she plays a lot, its sunny out and then she'll pant like crazy so I give her water, and she drinks a LOT of water, and sometimes throws it up....

so I try to give her less water than normal so she won't throw it up, or give it to her in smaller amounts at a time

is this normal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is this normal?

ONCE CoCo ate so fast she immediately threw up her kibble... and then ate it again... yech! I do think its somewhat normal for them to vommit if their intake is too quick... but definitely not ideal!

I wouldn't limit her water, she's obviously very thirsty... but maybe you can pick up the water dish every few seconds until she sits and settles a bit, then put it down for her again, repeat... we did this a few times with CoCo after her incident.
    ~Jo & CoCo

browneyedgirl is offline Member

i heard that the heat affects black labs even more (lucky is a black lab)? i guess that makes sense since black absorbs light

im going to try and make sure she gets enough shade, give her some ice chips and give her lots of water, in smaller amounts at a time

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Mocha's done this before too I found that if I give her ice cold water it comes back up when she's hot. I would try smaller amounts more often to keep her hydrated. Also keep the sessions shorter when it's really hot.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

YellowDog03 is offline Member

Moose does this, ALOT.

For him, it doesn't matter if he's hot, cold, panting, thirsty or not, he LOVES to consume large amounts of water. Then barfing it back up. I never limit his water intake, but I do make him slow down on the amount of water he's taking in. When he's at the water dish, sloshing down a ton of it, I'll just tell him enough and he knows to quit. I've found with him, if I allow him to get smaller drinks more frequently, it cuts down on brining the water back up.

imported_lovemylabs is offline Junior Member

I always just keep barnie in the kitchen on the tile after the park or exertion when he drinks his wwter...especially if the water's too cool...ALWAYS barfs. at least if he's in the kitchen it's easy to clean up. i wouldn't worry about it