Anyone have exp. w/ Zeuterin? Dog sterilization

Thread: Anyone have exp. w/ Zeuterin? Dog sterilization

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone have exp. w/ Zeuterin? Dog sterilization

Anyone on here have experience with it? Used on their dog or know someone who has? Anyone know if can get on a dog over 10 months old?

Seems like a great option. Wonder if it impacts the dog marking as much too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

No experience at all w/ sterlization, but marking in general seems to be as much a training issue as anything. Even w/ my girls, if I don't physically walk out w/ them in the morning, they will pee in the yard..... even though they know they are supposed to walk a few yards further to the field. They are especially naughty when in season, so I can sympathize since males are in season for as long as they are intact! LOL.

If your boy is just 10 mos, I'd really work on it from a training / routine perspective as the current recommendation is to wait to neuter after growth plates close. I prefer to see folks wait until ~18 mos w/ males, though if they absolutely can't stand it any longer, 14 mos should be safe.

Did a quick Google (keyed in zeuterin studies) and got some interesting articles up: http://www.spayneuterconference.com/...inics_maas.pdf
    And this: Suffolk Veterinary Group Animal Wellness & Laser Surgery Center - Veterinarian In Selden, NY USA :: About Zeuterin Neuter (says FDA approved for ages 3-10 mos).

I'm not sure I'd jump on the wagon yet...

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

fan of fanboys is offline Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check the articles once at a computer.

He is 2 1/2 and trying to decide if worth fixing him. I don't like idea of castration.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

When I looked into that it was not available in N. America, having been banned (claimed my Vet) after a short period of use. At the time I found some disturbing side effects, it's not as pain free for some dogs as claimed and the testicles shrink up on some so they look castrated anyway. One article did say enough testosterone remains that behavioural issues remain, as I think once established they tend to anyway. It was about 4 years ago, I'm going by memory. Some simple googling will get you lots of information.

I wish we could get Superlorin here. It's not without controversy either though.

Jorymay is offline Junior Member

its back on the market again, and the issue is vets need to be trained on its usage. They will do it at Tufts School of Veterinary med. If you look on the internet there is a list of states and vets that do it. Its not extensive, but gaining favor.