Ender's tummy/poopy troubles
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ender's tummy/poopy troubles

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEnder's tummy/poopy troubles

Well... looks like a bland diet for Ender again... round #2. Aparently Vet #1 didn't have me give him long enough on the bland diet to settle Ender's tummy so we are going back to basics here. This time I'm NOT spending a fortune on the vet's canned stuff and making my own. Any suggestions? I know it involves boiling chicken or beef and rice but not sure if there is some sort of recipe I should follow. Jo (Coco's Mom)... any suggestions since you went through this once allready?

How do I know how much to feed him?

(Vet ruled out parasites... two different stool samples)
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ender's tummy/poopy troubles

This is what we did...

Fast for 24 hrs, but provided water and gatorade to keep hydrated.

Boiled 1 large skinless chicken breast, then used the stock to make 4 cups of white rice (so use 2 cups dry minute rice and 2 cups of the stock... I think you know how to make minute rice though, right!? lol!). Shred the chicken and mix it into the rice... it makes about a 25% chicken to 75% rice.

Start by feeding 2 tablespoons every 2 hours for the first day. Second day was more like 1/3 cup 4 times per day... Third day was 1/2 cup 3 times per day... On the 4th day we added a sprinkling of kibble (about 2 tbsp). On the 5th day it was 1/4 cup kibble, with 1/2 cup rice mix. On the 6th day 1/2 cup kibble with 1/4 cup rice mix. Then on the 7th day it was her full serving of 3/4 cup kibble 3 times per day.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Oh, and I should add that this worked very well for us! She never had a firm poop until after we did this.... mind you, when we switched her back to the kibble we switched her to the food she is now on, which is working out great!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yikes!!! He has to fast?! * *I don't think he'll be too happy with us but I'd rather go for the full shabangy than do it half-assed. *;D

Yes... I believe I know how to make minute rice.

Think I could use some of the stock to freeze in a kong for when we are at work?

How did you do the "every two hrs" thing when you were at work?

LOL... what are you feeding her now anyways?
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Yikes!!! He has to fast?! * *I don't think he'll be too happy with us but I'd rather go for the full shabangy than do it half-assed. *;D

Yes... I believe I know how to make minute rice.

Think I could use some of the stock to freeze in a kong for when we are at work?

How did you do the "every two hrs" thing when you were at work?

LOL... what are you feeding her now anyways?
    The fasting will help get whatever is in his system OUT! lol!

I'm glad you know how to make minute rice.

I don't think frozen stock would be an issue at all. Is it chicken stock? If its from another meat, it might not be a good idea... but you can always use the extra from the boiled chicken breast.... just use lots of water. OH, and it will take more than 2 batches of this stuff, but I waited and made a second batch later in order to keep it fresh.

We did the every-2-hours part over the weekend and DH was home with her for a few days too...

Now we are feeding Nutrisource Chicken & Rice Large Breed Puppy... Its decent quality, but not widely available. Its the only food that both my BIL's dogs did well on too. Google them and you get their website with lots of info... it does have wheat products, but its all whole grains and is meant to aid digestion.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Dani is offline Senior Member

What are the problems? I apparently missed this the first time Ender had ass blow. I would be MUCH MORE CONCERNED with him continuing to have diarehha...than anything...it tends to be more asymptomatic of bigger issues.

I never went to a bland diet for that long...even when Rider had giardia. He usually went for one day.

Remember, this board is not a replacement for a vet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

How much are you feeding him? Are you giving him a lot of kongs? The fastest route to soft poop is too much food. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Remember, this board is not a replacement for a vet.
    I agree! We followed this diet as provided by our vet.

It was confirmed with Laura (Labby)'s article, which advices on a similar diet (although we drew the switch back to kibble out longer):
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/Vomiting-Diarrhea.html

Start with 1-2 tablespoons every 2 hours. After 6 hrs, increase to volume and decrease the intervals. A good goal for a 20 lb animal is 1/3 cup every 4-6 hours. If food stays down the next 24 hrs, feed up to 1/2 cup in 3 meals over the next 2 days. Start adding back regular diet mixed into the bland foods. If vomiting or diarrhea persist or if you see blood-seek veterinary attention immediately.

It should take about 5 days to get back on regular food. Some pets take a little longer, depending on how irritated the gut was to start.
    ~Jo & CoCo

His poops have been on and off for the past 3 weeks... ranging from solid but not hard to liquidy goop. *Two weeks ago he was coughing for about 1.5 days and we went in to see the vet and brought a stool sample 'cause of his loose stool. *

Vet gave us a canned Hill's Diet food to use over the weekend and to mix with his normal food in the coming week... also recommended we switch from Innova (too rich she said and her dog never got a firm stool)... so we gradually switched him onto Solid Gold Wolf King/Cub (whatever the large breed puppy version is called). *But he never had two firm stools in a row so I consider this to be failure. *We were hoping it was merely an amount issue so have really been cutting back WAY below what the recommendation is on the bag. *But this morning at 3 am... he went out.. actually WHIMPERED while trying to go... went firm at first but very loose at the end (seemed like he was walking around quite a bit to get to that last part)... and at 3 am I *thought* I saw a definite redish tint in the loose part.

SO... Eric dropped off the three am stool sample at the vets and they told me no parasites so to do the bland diet thing.
    ~Lindsay

I thought we were just feeding him too much and had to find the right amount but that reddish tint got me really worried this morning.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast