Hill's Perscription Diet (?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill's Perscription Diet (?)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultHill's Perscription Diet (?)

Abby had her yearly checkup yesterday and she weighs 92 pounds. Our vet would like us to think about switching to the Hill's Canine R/D or W/D. He also said we could try her on something like Royal Canin light. I trust my vet and value his opinion but would like to see if anyone else has had experience with foods like these as I have never fed a "perscription" food before.

*Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebedechocolate is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Hill's Perscription Diet (?)

What the the Hills R/D and W/d for? Weight loss? If that is the only thing, you could just reduce the amount of kibble you feed. I have heard that weight loss kibbles aren't that good for your dog, they tend to have lots of fillers and grains and little meat.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Why? for weight loss? What are you feeding and how much? I would cut back her kibble and substitute green beans for a filler. Weight loss foods are usually low in fat and cause for a really bad coat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katy Guest

If Hills Canine Prescription is as expensive as Feline Prescription, watch out!! My cat is one KD for renal failure and it really hurts the pocketbook!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Hill's Prescription Diets are sold only through vets and of course they make a profit on each can.

What food are you feeding now and how many cups/day? Do you know how many kcals/cup it has -- that's usually on the bag (if not, you can call the customer service # on the bag and they should be able to tell you instantly). Do you or others give much table scraps or treats?

Generally, cutting back about 10% on the number of kcals/day plus increasing the exercise will work.

I agree with what the others told you.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

She eats a total of 2 cups per day of Nutro Natural Choice Lite. She gets a half cup of green beans with her morning and evening meals for a total of 3 cups of food per day. She gets no dog treats (ie:milkbones) but instead gets a carrot,green bean or ice cube as a "treat"...we've been feeding her like this for almost 2 months and still no improvement in weight (but it has nothing to do with thyroid,diabetes...we've had other stuff tested i just can't think of what)

Yes we wanted to switch her to Hill's for weight loss. I'm not good with this stuff so I really appreciate your input

here's the nutrional breakdowns off what she's currently eating

Ingredients
    Rice Flour, Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Dried Egg Product, Taurine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Garlic Flavor, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Acetate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Chondroitin Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
    Nutro supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals, including those used by our suppliers who provide our ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein (minimum) 14.00%
    Crude Fat (minimum) 6.00%
    Crude Fat (maximum) 8.50%
    Crude Fiber (maximum) 6.50%
    Moisture (maximum 10.00%
    Linoleic Acid (minimum) 2.50%
    Zinc (minimum) 250 mg/kg
    Vitamin E (minimum) 100 IU/kg
    Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 40.0 mg/kg
    Glucosamine (minimum)* 400 mg/kg
    Chondroitin Sulfate (minimum)* 300 mg/kg

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

and here is the breakdown of the food we would switch her to

Average Nutrient Contents
    Nutrient
    Nutrient Guarantee
    % As Fed1
    % Dry Matter2
    % As Fed, Caloric Basis3
    g/100 kcal
    Protein 20.0 min 22.8 25.1 8.4
    Fat 5.5 min 7.9 8.7 2.9
    Carbohydrate (NFE) 34.5 37.9 12.8
    Crude Fiber 26.0 max 21.1 23.2 7.8
    mg/100 kcal3
    Calcium 0.50 min 0.60 0.66 222
    Phosphorus 0.35 min 0.49 0.54 182
    Sodium 0.27 0.30 100
    Potassium 0.73 0.80 270
    Magnesium 0.122 0.134 45
    Carnitine 200 ppm min 279 ppm 307 ppm 10

¹Differs from label guarantees which are either maximums or minimums.
    ²The nutrient in the product after moisture is removed. It is used to make direct comparisons of nutrient profiles of products with differing moisture contents.
    ³Nutrient intake for every 100 kilocalories consumed.

Ingredients
    Corn meal, peanut hulls 28.2% (a source of fiber), chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, soybean mill run, chicken liver flavor, dried egg product, vegetable oil, taurine, L-carnitine, preserved with BHT, BHA and ethoxyquin, minerals (salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

after looking at the ingredients of fthe Hill's it doesn't impress me much :-\
    *Stacey*

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

My vet pushed that diet on me because Ender was having some loose stool so their excuse was "he needs a bland diet"...

now... perhaps they were advising that in truth or maybe they were trying to push the product. I don't like this vet so I think I'm going to switch.

Weight loss... I've allways heard "feed less move more" not "feed a different food" You can allways add low-calorie things like green beans etc.
    ~Lindsay

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Your "usual"* ingredient list you posted sounds MUCH better to me than what you would switrch to.

I suggest you try decreasing the food quantity by 5-10% and increasing the daily exercise by an equivalent %age,
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bob, I too think I like the list of ingredients for what she currently eats. We'll try to cut out a bit more kibble but last time we did that she wasn't getting enough food (this was beyond the usual begging...).

We exercise plently but I'm sure more won't hurt (obviously). I also called my vet and told him I didn't like the ingredients of the Hill's and he said to look for something with higher fiber, lower fat/calories...I guess this will be a tiral and error thing.

Thank you very much for your input

Thank you also to everyone else. You're all the greatest!
    *Stacey*

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Ok I didn't read all the replys but! You can get Hills at Pet Co at a fairly good price. I have fed Koko Hills puppy lamb and rice for the past few months and we love it, in fact my vet told us about it and then told us to buy it from Pet co as it was cheaper than her price! My old cat (passed 8 yrs ago) was also on hills for medical needs and she did very well, lived to be 18 while receiving daily injections for her "sugar" (we did this for 9 years). I'm all for trying something and finding out if it will work for me/my pet. I know alot of vets push this brand to make a bit more for themselves but!!! It seems to meet our current and past needs and you can but it at Pet Co and other large chain stores. (at least on the East Coast)
    Terri
    stepping off soap box!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast