A Bloat Survivor Story

Thread: A Bloat Survivor Story

DefaultA Bloat Survivor Story

I just received the following message via Jake' Page. This is the site I posted to warn people about the condition called Bloat.
    http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/index.htm

Since most of the messages I receive are from people who have lost their dog to bloat it's nice to hear about a survivor. Here is the note I received:

Janice had surgery this morning for Bloat. She is 11 1/2. I took her for a walk this morning at 6:30. By 10:00 her symptoms were all that you mentioned. Even tho we had not read them yet, I have had horses with colic and the symptoms were much identical to Janice's. We took her to the vet, an emergency small animal clinic. I knew she was engorged.

She had surgery. Her spleen and liver were fine and the contents in her stomach did not smell. We spotted her engorgement very early. (Wish we had not suddenly changed her diet .... dry food that makes gravy .... )

She is an old lady. I shall call for info this evening at 10:00. We saw Janice's restlessness, hanging her head .... wandering in circles and then lying down and then wandering around again - all the time holding mouth open and panting in a funny way.

This night is not over, but the vet thinks she'll be OK. We have to see if the common problem Arythmia (Spelling? Sorry.) with her heart appears, but they know it's common with this surgery and they are ready.

I hope my letter can help anyone else. Unfortunately I changed her diet to the awful dry food that makes gravy. She has been on organic dry food mixed with some moist food. I changed it only for the weekend .... no abrupt change is good and this new stuff we fed her was awful. I knew all this ..... so angry with myself. Hope others learn from my lesson. (She loved this new stuff and it threw us off, but we knew instantly why she was bloated and out of sorts this morning and got her to an emergency clinic IMMEDIATELY.) Her spleen and liver were pink and healthy. Thank God. Again, we got her there quite quickly.

Thanks. It's helped me to write this letter.

Good luck to anyone else who has a precious dog with bloating symptoms. If you suspect your dog has bloating symptoms - get your dear dog to a vet immediately.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: A Bloat Survivor Story

Glad they were able to catch her it in time. That stuff is so scary!

There is an interesting LINK in LAB CHAT on the subject of "bloat." It is under the topic "Bloat and Dry Food." The post is started by Copptob, but it is Labby that posted the link.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Always good to hear another survivor story after having had two surgeries for bloat within 2 months...my lab is still going strong over a year later.