lawn care

Thread: lawn care

Defaultlawn care

We just moved to a new home in southern Georgia, and would like to spray our yard to help control the sand fleas.
    It's not really a problem right now but we'd like it do it anyways.

Does anyone know what is safe for our cats and dogs? And where is it available?

Thanks, Melissa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tootsiesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: lawn care

No, I would not use it for the lawn. It is a pesticide. Then again my lab likes to graze LOL. I DID use it for the bushes and trees that are around the yard and that helped quite a bit.

I live in GA and don't use any pesticides on the lawn. We use frontline on the dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: lawn care - a little more info-update

A little more info ...

We moved to Florida almost 2 years ago from northern Indiana, and I thought the mosquito's were bad on Amelia Island! The county in Florida where we lived sprayed for mosquito's every month. In Indiana we didn't have so many annoying bugs.

We've been here in St. Marys for a little over a month now and we live in the boonies and are surrounded by water within a mile on 3 sides. The mosquito's are bad already and it's only April :-\ We also have these yellow biting flies ... I don't know what they are called, and lots and lots of gnats. The gnats must be a problem for everyone because there was a front page article in the paper about them this past week. The dogs are protected with heart gard every month.

What I noticed is that after only 3 weeks after applying frontline, Loki had a flea on him. Not your typical fat animal flea but a skinny sand flea. So both had their bathes early and I applied more frontline on them. I will do what it takes to make sure the dogs are free of fleas.

Naturally I don't want to harm the dogs with lawn pesticides, on the other hand, I don't want to hafta apply frontline every 2 weeks either. I only want the dogs to be as healthy as they can be, and that's why I'm asking if anyone knows of an animal safe pesticide.

The reason we had to leave our little island of paradise is because our rental home was for sale, our lease was up, and we could not find another home for less $1400 a month that would allow animals. We looked for 3 months. I fostered locally and for lab rescue for a year while living there. Re-homing my 5 animals was not an option so we moved 30 miles north so that we could keep the family together. I really do like it here in St. Marys (small town feel) but it seems there are more pesky insects.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning and ask. I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks to all, Melissa

I have purchased some granular stuff at WalMart called the Eliminator. It is for fleas, ticks and like 30 other yard pests.
    I do not put it in my yard, instead, I put it around the outside primiter on the other side of the fence. This way hopefully I am creating a barrier, and there is no worry about the girls eating it. I do think it helps.

lab13 Guest

Please be careful with what you use. I just spent over $300 today at the vet for my lab who got major diaherra and stomach issues from I guess eating some grass that we had used a natural lawn food on. The company claims that it is all natural and shouldn't cause problems , the vet disagrees and says that even natural products can have problems for dogs.
    Good luck.