???Extra Ingredients in dog food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ???Extra Ingredients in dog food

roccolya is offline Senior Member

Default???Extra Ingredients in dog food

Here is the story,

My dog is being tested by food allergies. For two months+ I have been cooking venison and potatos for my dog. As a result, my little friend spent the first month without an ear infection for the first time since we adopted her.

OK, she was doing good. So the doc tried to switch her over to a Vet only limited ingrediant commercial food of venison and potatos. After just two meals she was back itching to death again. As soon as I put her back on homecooked food, she stopped itching. This response from a high quality limited ingrediant diet from the vet.

Has anyone else had trouble with not the core ingrediants of the food but the other stuff in it?

If it is the other stuff and not the venison and potatos, then what commercial food would work? Any?

Thanks,
    Morgan with Lya

Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ???Extra Ingredients in dog food

Sure. Brewers yeast and eggs are just a few common "other" ingredient that can cause problems. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

If your dog is that sensitive, you may have to feed a raw diet also known as B.A.R.F (bones and raw food). You can get prepackaged raw food if you don't want to bother with preparing it yourself. Do an online search for B.A.R.F. and you'll find lots of info about what it is, how to do it properly, where you can find prepared meals, etc.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

California Natural has a couple of foods -- specifically Lamb Meal & Rice and Chicken & Rice -- with VERY limited ingredients. It probably has the fewest ingredients of any food out there. You can check them out here: www.naturapet.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

I had a dog on Eagle Holistic Duck and Oatmeal and thought I would try Wellness Duck and he started scratching right away. I went back to the store and the clerk said Wellness was contracted out and there can be cross contamination between other foods. She said it wasn't the first time it happened with Wellness, although I would think that could happen to any company if they didn't clean well inbetween runs. Try another Venison brand or just keep cooking.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I would agree on the raw diet...you shouldn't cook natural diets as that eliminates essential vitamins and minerals.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Has anyone else had trouble with not the core ingrediants of the food but the other stuff in it?
    It usually is the "other" stuff. The major meat that causes problems is beef, but usually it's a grain like wheat or a dairy product that triggers an allergic response.

In this case the "other" stuff would be everything but the venison and potatos as we have found that she is stable on that. I looked at the ingrediants again last night on the IVD vet food, and I saw no really scary chemicals, but I did see Salmon oil. She had been on Salmon oil previous as that was meant to help. Of course there were other things as well.

Good to know about the the raw having the better nutrients cause until I find a proper food, that is what is going to need to happen. I was told that the venison and potato alone was not balanced, so If I home cook for much longer I will need to figure out what else I need to add.

I will check out the www.naturapet.com as well as the others I have been scoping. Yesterday I was checking out the new foods by Natural Balance, they are meant to have a new organic formula, and some other foods.

So get this, I can drive 40 miles one way, purchase human grade, locally raised venison, bring it home and cook it with other items and it is still way way cheaper than most of everything I have seen at the shops. Considering she is a 55 pound lab and not a 7 pound lap dog and she has a Rhodesian Ridgeback friend who has cought on that home cooked is way yummier, this might be the way I have to go for economical reasons as well.

Please tell me if you think of any other good ideas.

Morgan with Lya

and Friend Rocco

Michigan

Dani is offline Senior Member

If you suspect it's the grain and don't want to go to raw, then perhaps you could check out Innova Evo. It's mostly protein and is RICH...so you feed less....but here are the ingredients...

Turkey
    Chicken
    Turkey Meal
    Chicken Meal
    Potatoes
    Herring Meal
    Chicken Fat
    Natural Flavors
    Egg
    Garlic
    Apples
    Carrots
    Tomatoes
    Cottage Cheese
    Alfalfa Sprouts
    Dried Chicory Root
    Taurine
    Lecithin
    Rosemary Extract
    Vitamins/Minerals
    Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms

It's grain free. It's expensive...Rider's been on it and he does well...you can't feed the amount that you were feeding before....I went from feeding 1.5 c 2 times a day to 1c 2 times a day on EVO.

Rider doesn't have allergies....we switched for other reasons.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Oh, I will definatly go raw if I need to, but would have to learn what to mix in with it.

Thanks for the food suggestion, I will put it on the list of possibilities. That way, I stress out less. I always have to have a plan B, C, D, and E.

Her stratching was so bad and so long that the poor little thing cause scratch once and both my husband and I would stiffen in fear.

So yesterday in a fit of bravery I mananged to get to the proper store before closing and got a small bad of Innova EVO, so as to see if Lya would be able to eat if without itching. This morning I could not do it, I was just so frightened of a breakout or and ear infection that I could not bring myself to risk it. So that bag of food is going in our Emergancy Preparadness Kit and I am looking up what nutrients are in what potatos and what vitamins are in green beens. :P

I am sure some day such things will not cause my husband and I to panic, but just now we are not there yet. Why might need therapy to get to that point, but that is down the line. ;D

Off to B.A.R.F.

Edwina with Lya
    Friend Rocco

Michigan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast